Question on Reinstallation

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by flexbuffchest, Aug 7, 2012.

1. flexbuffchest

flexbuffchest New Member

Hey guys,

I currently have Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    installed and I have to reinstall Win7 due to a dying hard drive. Because of this I plan on buying some new RAM and a new hard drive (an SSD if it matters.) My only concern is that I would be forced to buy a new key for Windows 7 Professional.

It's been a couple years since I've installed Win7 and I still have my CD key. Aside from upgrading the RAM and a new HDD all the other hardware is the same. I would hope that reinstalling with the same CD key would be no issue but I am not certain. I would really hate it if I was forced to buy a new copy of Win7 Professional as those are quite expensive.

Another issue is that I bought Office 2010 and apparently I deleted the email that contained my receipt/key for the program. Is there any way through Microsoft to get this back?

Thank you.

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

3. mdnafeesqamar

mdnafeesqamar New Member

Hi,

Go to Run and type appdata and you will be able to see outlook in that you have the .pst folder.Import the e-mails from there and there are chances to retrieve the previous mails.But no assurance.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

5. flexbuffchest

flexbuffchest New Member

Thanks for the links. I do not know what question specifically you linked to in the second link as that went to a general FAQ, but it is helpful.

I'm 99.9% sure that this is an OEM copy. I bet im going to have to call to get it reactivated, I hope they understand.

6. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I've found them very helpful on the odd occasion I've needed to do it - there was no "third degree" and they seem to assume your intentions are honourable unless they have good reason to suspect otherwise.