Question on Windows 7 Backup Options, please

Mike Goodger

Hi, I'm new here.

My Backup efforts have been spasmodic and I want to improve, as follows:

1. Occasionally, do a full "Mirror Image Backup" of my whole system on external hard drive. This seems to be a standard, simple thing via Windows Help.

2. Do a separate "selected" backup on external hard drive - My Desktop Folder, My Downloads Folder, My Documents, My Pictures and My Videos.

3. Whenever I feel that there is enough new stuff - repeat (2), applying only the changes.

Obviously (3) would be done more often than (1).

I have not found how to do (2) and (3) as a standard Windows operation.

Maybe you could recommend a safe, free or paid third party program to handle (2) and (3)?

Regards,
Mike

Mike Goodger

Thanks. I've just gone into some reviews and decided to go for Backup Maker Free - there's a lot in it but I only need the simple bits.

For full mirror image backups I may stay with the Windows Backup, and use Backup Maker for the original and incremental folders-and-files backups that Windows does not offer.

Regards,
Mike

Saber Lancer

Thank you for the suggestion. I should try this out. I also ran into a free backup solution called cloudbacko...so I should try all these and see what's the best among. In fact, all I need is only to backup outlook, files and autocad drawing.

Pauli

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
To be sour once again, the true way to backup is to manually do it. All automation give a false sense of security. When you do it yourself, you know what you have. No clouds or booms can give me the security I have in my burned DVDs. Everything may break down, even electricity, but then I have charged batteries.

Apocalyptic? Yes, indeed.