Windows 7 Quick launch keeps DISAPPPEARING

Would you mind explaining you reason for wanting it? Any programs on the task bar are one click starts and any program can be pinned to the taskbar. If you hit winkey + 1, the first program from the left will start, 2 the second and so on.

As far as your question, I do not know for sure, but maybe there is a window's process that goes through the registry or somewhere and corrects what it thinks are errors.

Would you mind explaining you reason for wanting it? Any programs on the task bar are one click starts and any program can be pinned to the taskbar. If you hit winkey + 1, the first program from the left will start, 2 the second and so on.

As far as your question, I do not know for sure, but maybe there is a window's process that goes through the registry or somewhere and corrects what it thinks are errors.

I am aware of the pinning feature of W7. However I dislike it for several reasons.

Firstly, it takes much more room compared to quicklaunch, and there is no difference in opening the file, not faster, or anything. The only special thing you see from pinning taskbar opening is you see it "expand". Not much difference. For emphasis, I have attached an image for comparison between quicklaunch and pinning.

Secondly, I got used to the pinning feature of Win XP.

Thirldy, I am having this PC shared with my parents, who barely knows how to use the Start menu. Yes indeed it's a click/search away, but they said it was too complicated to access skype via start bar. Don't ask me why, they say they like it at quick launch and keep asking me to fix up this quicklaunch dissappearing bug.

In reply to your quotation

" If you hit winkey + 1, the first program from the left will start, 2 the second and so on."

I am interested - what feature are you talking about? I pressed the Window Key and 1 together doesn't open me anything...

I am aware of the pinning feature of W7. However I dislike it for several reasons.

Firstly, it takes much more room compared to quicklaunch, and there is no difference in opening the file, not faster, or anything. The only special thing you see from pinning taskbar opening is you see it "expand". Not much difference. For emphasis, I have attached an image for comparison between quicklaunch and pinning.

Secondly, I got used to the pinning feature of Win XP.

Thirldy, I am having this PC shared with my parents, who barely knows how to use the Start menu. Yes indeed it's a click/search away, but they said it was too complicated to access skype via start bar. Don't ask me why, they say they like it at quick launch and keep asking me to fix up this quicklaunch dissappearing bug.

In reply to your quotation

" If you hit winkey + 1, the first program from the left will start, 2 the second and so on."

I am interested - what feature are you talking about? I pressed the Window Key and 1 together doesn't open me anything...

Also, the regedit gave me a BLACK screen. So don't try it.

It's in the root HKEY SOFTWARE > MS > WINDOW NT > WINLOGIN and something in there....

I think the file was userinit

First, there is no quick launch in Win 7 ... it has been replaced .. kind of.. .by the hidden icon menu.... but you can't put anything into it that is not programmed with the feature to minimize to hidden icons.

The pin option is rather messy if you use the task bar.. but if you pin to the start menu it works pretty good... and it's much easier and quicker for loading frequently used programs.

Another trick for organizing and opening progams on the desktop is to check the Desktop toolbar on the Taskbar menu.

If you have a program pinned to the task bar next to the ORB, you can hit winkey + 1 and it will startup. If you have Outlook, then IE, if you hit winkey + 2, IE will start up. If yours does not work this way, it is probably because you have changed the toolbar or turned something off. I have a keyboard with 5 numbered keys on the top and I can start 5 programs just by hitting the correct number key.

First, there is no quick launch in Win 7 ... it has been replaced .. kind of.. .by the hidden icon menu.... but you can't put anything into it that is not programmed with the feature to minimize to hidden icons.

The pin option is rather messy if you use the task bar.. but if you pin to the start menu it works pretty good... and it's much easier and quicker for loading frequently used programs.

Another trick for organizing and opening progams on the desktop is to check the Desktop toolbar on the Taskbar menu.

Uhmm funny thing is that I keep my desktop super clean. If I make an icon count, uh there will be 7 icons not much. I am aware that there is no Quicklaunch, this is why I added it manually by following the link on my first post of this thread. But what I am basically looking for is the auto saving feature. You know when you shut down your computer? The message "Window is saving your setting"? Well I am thinking that this might have been turned off for some weird reason. I am happy that you agree it's pretty messy.

And silly me, I forgot to attach the image lol. I will do it now. So yeah. It takes up a lot of room.

If you have a program pinned to the task bar next to the ORB, you can hit winkey + 1 and it will startup. If you have Outlook, then IE, if you hit winkey + 2, IE will start up. If yours does not work this way, it is probably because you have changed the toolbar or turned something off. I have a keyboard with 5 numbered keys on the top and I can start 5 programs just by hitting the correct number key.

ORB? The gadget? Unfortunately I don't have the fancies touch keys on the keyboard. I love compact ones. I have the Logitech Ultra Flat Dark Shine --- not the Logitech Illuminated, my brother has that one.

Uhmm funny thing is that I keep my desktop super clean. If I make an icon count, uh there will be 7 icons not much. .

I couldn't function efficiently like that. I need CLEAN work space.

I first think about the way I work. I maximize all my programs and my web pages automatically with ieMaximizer.

So 99% of the time when I'm working I only see my task bar. Yours is a mess.

The less junk you have to look through, the quicker you can find what you want.

You can put this "space wasting stuff" on your desktop... keep it organized with a free program called IconRestorer

and access it all from your task bar if you enable the "desktop" toolbar.

Here... this image shows yours compared to mine.

The desktop menu only comes up when I click >> beside desktop.

So 99% of the time when I'm working I only see my task bar. Yours is a mess.

Nah I don't think my desktop is messy. I can't see your desktop since you page is opened up (from your attachment) I can't see what you mean.

I need CLEAN work space.

I don't understand what sort of clean, do you mean...if 7 icons is still too much. I am guessing < 7 icons on desktop?
I don't understand either when you said "space wasting stuff"....

I can see though that several small management programs are on your PC, which I try to install as minimal as possible. Since this is a Pentium IV, I don't want to push on the 1 GB RAM that I've got.

Oh in overall, I think I've found my answers to this first post and trying it out. So thanks for the help so far. I shall come back if I have more queries.

Nah I don't think my desktop is messy. I can't see your desktop since you page is opened up (from your attachment) I can't see what you mean.

Not desktop, the taskbar... we don't do that much on the desktop... but no grass can have a chance to grow on the taskbar it holds the open program we are always working in, opening and closing. Note yours is inside the black box... no room to put anything.. all cluttered up with icons for programs that aren't running and just wasting the space. When you open a couple programs.. how can you find them amongst that clutter?

I don't understand what sort of clean, do you mean

Just look at all the FREE space on my taskbar that is in the yellow box... PLENTY room for the programs I open to sit in ... and there's no clutter from shortcut icons to make confusion trying to pick them out. I guess we work different... I often have 10 to 15 or more programs and windows open at the same time. I don't know where your open programs can go on your taskbar...there isn't any room. Maybe you have them all stacked.

I can see though that several small management programs are on your PC,

That's a list of what's on my desktop that only opens when I click >> in black ... and there are extra menu options.
I have the choice to load anything on my desktop in the same way I can click on Start / all programs.

Back
Top Bottom