Quotation mark key not working properly

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Nevan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Nevan

Nevan New Member

I just bought a brand new Dell Insprion 15R special edition, and I've noticed that the quotation mark key isn't working properly. This is going to be a problem for someone like me who writes fiction in his spare time...

Basically what happens is that when I press SHIFT+', the quotation mark doesn't appear right away; I have to type a letter for it to appear. And then when I type the end quote and press the spacebar, a space won't happen. I have to press the spacebar twice.

What's going on? I know it must be some keyboard/language setting, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone help?

2. Pauli

Pauli Extraordinary Member
    Premium Supporter

If you have bought it in your native country with OS in your native language, it should work. Quotation mark is a basic symbol, it should appear immediately. Like """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" and end quote """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" spaces.

If I were you, I'd take it to the seller. The warranty will take care of it.

3. duckbard

duckbard New Member

I am having the exact same problem with the same type of computer. Does anyone know how to fix this? OP, did you have any luck?

4. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

5. Kevin Koskela

Kevin Koskela New Member

zvit, thank you SO MUCH. Dell actually went to the trouble of replacing my laptop keyboard and when that didn't work, I looked again and found your solution. Changing the keyboard layout to "US" and unselecting Auto Adjust solved it!

6. Mitchell_A

Mitchell_A Excellent Member

If you want to prevent the issue from occurring again in the future, you can remove other keyboard layout/language options by accessing the Region and Language options from the start menu/control panel.