Windows 7 RAM problem?

Daniel Feivor

This happens about 33% of the time when I boot up my computer:

All the lights come on, all the fan start up, and then I wait for the screen to turn on but it never does. I look down and see that my RAM didn't start (I can tell because it is Ballistix Tactical Tracer and has lights).

I reset it and then usually it will work fine. Not really a major problem at all, but kind of curious and a little annoying. What could cause the RAM to not start like that?

RAM: 8gb Ballistix Tactical Tracer
MoBo: MSI 890FXA-Gd70

What could cause the RAM to not start like that?
Power. A failing power supply could cause this so I would start by swapping in a know good PSU and see if it happens.

Failing RAM or a failing motherboard could do this too - though a failing PSU could cause the RAM or motherboard to fail so power should be checked first.

Power. A failing power supply could cause this so I would start by swapping in a know good PSU and see if it happens.

Ugh what a pain, especially since I just bought the power supply less than 6 months ago... But thanks for the reply!

Just for the build I was doing... I made it sound like I already had another one, but really this is my first one.

Oh, so this is a new build and this problem has been happening from day one?

Is your RAM (or RAM with the same specs) listed in the QVL (qualified vendors list) for your motherboard? Your RAM QVL is listed here.

Is that 1 x 8 stick or 2 x 4Gb? If 2 sticks run with just one. Be sure to power down, unplug from the wall, and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in each time.

Hmm, well i just looked on that list and I didn't see any 4gb(yes it's 2 X 4Gb) modules listed by Crucial, so I guess it's not QVL? I'll try with just one stick and see if I still have the problem.

so I guess it's not QVL?
There are too many RAM makers and models of RAM for motherboard makers to test and list them all on the QVL. So you don't need to buy listed RAM, but you do need to buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

Crucial is certainly a top-tier brand, but until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be some failures. You can go out to Crucial and run their Memory Advisor to see if your RAM is listed there.

I suspect, however, your RAM is compatible or else the computer would not work properly 66% of the time. So it could be a failing stick, or as some times happens, they two sticks just don't play well together, even though testing shows no problems.

If you are overclocking, stop - at least until this is resolved.

Back
Top Bottom