Windows 7 RAM Question

pseudocajun

I have windows 7 64 Professional installed with 12 GB of RAM and I note the following:

CPU-ID shows me with 12 GB of RAM (CPU-Z Validator 3.1)
However, Window's System Info show Installed Memory (RAM) as 6.00 GB. I also notice that during boot-up, the screen indicates that there is also only 6 GB. Lastly, I ran the memory configurator from crucial which also shows only 6 GB of RAM!

Any ideas????

Many thanks in advance,

It's possible its a false positive due to badly written code in the bios, or a glitch in windows, long as cpu-z shows its there it's likely fine.

If you only see 6 during the bootup, then I don't see this as being a Windows problem. What does it show in the BIOS setup menu?

If you have 3 slots of 2gigs then the max ram is only ever gonna be 6gig total, so CPUZ is the one reporting false reading

Rebooted last night after a thunderstorm - and now Window's System Info and the Bios are both showing 8GB of RAM....

BTW, I have 6 memory slots each with a 2 GB stick of RAM.

ah my bad, misread thought said 3x2's

Have you tried flashing the BIOS to newest build? also occurs that prehaps not enough juice getting to the ram, maybe check the voltages are what they are supposed to be.

Last edited:
I should also mention that I have an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Mobomotherboard

Not a mobo. Not a motherboard. But a "Mobomotherboard"!!! :p

According to your manual, your motherboard will support up to 24Gb so that's not the problem. What might be a problem though is your specific model of RAM is not listed on the QVL.

Also in your manual in paragraph 2.4.2 on page 2.13, it has this curious statement:

Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only.
I don't know what that is saying, and Google is not helping me sort it out - yet. But it sounds like it will not work in dual (or triple) channel mode if using DDR3-1600. :confused: It should still see all the RAM, however, just not take advantage of the performance gains dual and triple offer - which would not be cool, IMO - though I am not sure it would be noticeable.

You might check your BIOS version too. There seems to have been many updates for that board - 3 already in 2010. But version 0704 from November 2009 is reported to "improve memory compatibility".

You might check your BIOS version too. There seems to have been many updates for that board - 3 already in 2010. But version 0704 from November 2009 is reported to "improve memory compatibility".

Either that or you may have a bad stick. See what Bios updates you have, or need and if it cures your solution. If not then it might be worth running memtest but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it..

ha ha, sorry about the 'mobomotherboard'!!!

I currently have BIOS 0610.

Question, I haven't flashed a bios in a while; if I flash the very lastest version I assume that it is cumulative and would have all previous updates, correct?

Back