Windows 7 Random BSOD and screen freeze on Windows 7 only when Idle

gadgets313

First time post, new member. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2 year old Windows 7 Home premium, 64bit. Sony VAIO, VPCEH12FX. Never had any issues with this computer and out of the blue it began BSODs and freezes.

When left to Idle experiences random BAD_HEADER_POOL BSODs and screen freezes. 5 over the past 24 hours. Does not happen if I shut down laptop between uses and never happens while I am using the computer.

Performed clean install; replaced ram with NEW 8GB stick.

Out of options.

DMP files and other diag files requested in forum how to are attached in zip folder.

Thanks!

Attachments

• W7F_29-12-2013.zip
    671.5 KB · Views: 778
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 19, {20, fffff8a000000034, fffff8a000001024, 5fff8a0}

Probably caused by : mountmgr.sys ( mountmgr!QueryDeviceInformation+226 )

Followup: MachineOwner

Hi,
both dmp files you posted are the same and mountmgr.sys is to do with system volume information. It may well have become corrupted and to check everything is ok please look in the start menu for cmd prompt. Right click on it and choose properties. Click to run as admin and type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
It might well be worth running a chkdsk. Go to My computer. Right click on the computer icon and click on properties. Look for Tools along the top and then error checking. Click to run on this drive but make sure both checkboxes are ticked to repair broken sectors. This guide is for vista but essentially it's the same process:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Please post results with any new dmp files.

I will run again for safety's sake; I probably should have posted such, but I have previously run sfc and chkdsk several times. All revealed no issues.

Please post any new dmp files. There were only two that you supplied and often it does take a few to find the culprit.

ran SFC and chkdsk once again. Was not able to see the results of either one before the system rebooted. Copied mountmgr.sys driver from another VAIO with the same setup and have had NO issues since. More than 24 hours without a freeze or BSOD. I will give it another day or so before I say this is solved, but I am fairly sure it is...with your help. Thanks very much.

Much thanks for the feedback. I'll keep my fingers crossed you found the culprit.

Back