Windows 7 Random BSOD

screwie

Hello world! My name is Andrew, and I will try to describe my problem as thorough as possible.

I've got this computer I currently use for about two weeks now from an old friend. The BSODs have started yesterday, durring a LAN gaming session. The first was just the screen going black and the computer froze. The third one was the type of freeze where you can still hear the bit of sound repeating over and over again. Then, at the 5th freeze the BSOD appeared. I've checked over the internet for some possible solutions and came up to the BlueScreenView utility, which had the same log for all the subsequent freezes.

Normally, I just thought it's something to do with Windows, so I've reinstalled it today, only to find out the freezes still occur. They occur at random intervals, with a couple of hours in between; from just browsing the internet to moderate-graphic wise gaming sessions. I have never overclocked anything, and don't plan on doing that, I try to keep each components as clean as possible, there are no extreme ambient conditions. Also, as I've seen some point towards the PSU, mine is a common 550W one. The video card is only two weeks old, as for the mainboard+processor I have no ideea. Just as a mention, my old computer was A55F-M3 with an AMD A8-3820 APU processor. I could switch to any of those two anytime for testing purposes, but I thought I should ask you guys first for some hints.
I've attached the blueescreenview logfile in textmode, all the CPUZ panels as a png file, the RAMMon SPD info and the W7F Diagnostic log.

Attachments

• bsod report.zip
    271.5 KB · Views: 988
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8007db08f8, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
Bugcheck 124 means you suffered a hardware failure, a machine check exception to be more precise.
There most common reason for MCE events to occur are:

• Memory errors or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
  • Inadequate cooling / processor over-heating
  • System bus errors
  • Cache errors in the processor or hardware
The symptoms you describe above when gaming sound like a classic overheating system issue but there are also other things which can cause those types of symptoms too. Basically you'll have to do a little checking to see where the issue may lay.
Do you actually monitor your temperatures at all? It's always a good idea to have at least a rough idea on how cool or hot your system runs. This application is pretty good at what it does:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Monitor your temps when the cpu is idle and when at 100% (usually gaming)
The above should also cover the GPU too.
Download a copy of Prime95 and test your CPU. Watch your temps! When you start Prime95 up just hit 'just stress testing' when asked and run the default test.

Check your GPU's memory with this app:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Run a chkdsk on the HDD making sure you tick any boxes to find and repair sectors:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

I also noted the age of your drivers.
Please update the audio and network using the driver downloads here:
http://uk.msi.com/support/mb/760GMP23_FX.html#down-driver&Win8 64
These drivers are for win7/8

Update your Broadcom drivers:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php

If after making the above changes you still get the bsod then you need to test your RAM.
Windows does have it's own memory testing app but it can often miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86. The latest version of which can be found here:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run Memtest86 you need to either burn a copy of it to disk or use a USB stick. If you look down the page you'll eventually find the latest version and it's associated downloads. If your burning to disk choose the pre-compiled iso zip. If your using a USB method then the corresponding download is the auto installer for a USB stick.
Once you have Memtest86 on the media you selected you'll then need to enter your bios and change the boot order so that the machine will boot from either the disk or stick you have Memtest86 on.
Run the test for 12hrs at least unless it becomes clear that there is a issue. If there is a problem with the RAM you'll see the errors pop up in red so you can't miss them.

I have monitored the temps and they were around 30C-40C for the Processor, and about the same for the video card. I think heating can be out of the question. Most of the BSODs have happened while just browsing the internet or just watching media or chatting. As for gaming, I keep the settings around medium (don't want to stress the components). As for the drivers, I don't know what to say. I've checked the manufacturer link again for the audio and network, and there are no newer drivers.
I will do all the checkings you suggested and come back with the results. Thanks for the quick answer!

I am back now, sorry for the long delay. I've ran all the above mentioned tests and I've had 0 errors on each. I've monitored the temperatures, and except the CPU stress rising it to 50+C, the other kept my system cool (around 30-30+ C). Yesterday I've had two BSODs occur at 3 minutes interval when I was just randomly doing stuff. Could there be an incompatibilty between mainboard and video card ?
I forgot to add, I've successfully updated the BIOS to the latest v.(17.15) when you suggested.

Last edited:
Do you have those dump files Screwie? If so please post.

Sorry for the delayed update, apparently the problem is from the HDD, which is failing. Yesterday it randomly started to do a clicking sound and it froze. I've used CrystalDiskInfo and it showed two errors: "Current Pending Sectors Count" and "Realocated Sectors Count". I will replace it as soon as possible.

Wow... Sorry to hear that. Thanks for updating as this always helps to know the outcome of any issue. Best of luck with the new parts.

Back