Windows 7 Random BSOD

beasteh

Hi,

I have recently purchased a new computer, built it myself but I have been having serious issues with BSOD's for many weeks. I have removed my raid and overclock, updated bios, updated all drivers, run memtest on all 3 sticks and each stick individually, 1 pass 0 errors each time. This issue is driving me mad.

Prior to format I would get a random BSOD always when on desktop or browsing net, never for example when playing a game. I have just formatted and took 6 attempts to boot into windows as I got repeat BSOD on Windows start up (after installing stuff, not fresh install). Since then I have left desktop running and no BSOD for 6 hours... -.-

Dump file uploaded. If anyone can provide a solution they would be my hero, this looks like I will have to send the whole lot back for refund :(

Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
I7 930 @ 2.8
6gb Ram DDR3
ATI 5970
Creative sound card
3 HDD
Antec 850w PSU
No virus scan or firewall

p.s. when in windows i would sometimes experience a desktop/explorer crash it was a near guarantee that a BSOD would follow minutes after.

Attachments

• Dump.zip
    22.7 KB · Views: 290
Hi.

First, you really want to have an antivirus so you should install MSE which will never crash Windows.

Updaate your DeathAdder driver from Razer's site as this one is too old for Windows 7:

dadder dadder.sys Thu Aug 02 05:33:03 2007

Razer Support

---------

Update your Creative drivers:

ctac32k ctac32k.sys Wed Jul 02 04:38:22 2008

Creative Worldwide Support

-----------

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete this driver which is too old and very problematic:

PxHlpa64 PxHlpa64.sys Tue Jun 23 19:16:35 2009

Reboot.

Thank you very much for the help. I have updated the above drivers mouse/keyboard & MSE. I have also deleted the driver that you mentioned, however, in device manager I now receive this error on my cd/dvd driver "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)".

My creative sound card driver is dated 2010 in device manager and as a result I have no idea how to update ctac32k.sys. I have the latest creative drivers for my card.

After taking your advice and performing the above tasks the computer ran perfectly for 24+ hours. However after booting this morning the computer BSOD'ed 8 times in a row. On the 9th time it booted perfectly and here we are. (I ran another memtest in between, 0 errors).

I have taked camera shots of some of the BSOD and also some of the applications that crash immediatly on boot up just prior to a BSOD, including "desktop manager" and "spooler subsystem app".

A recent BSOD stated "win32k.sys An attempt was made to write to read-only memory" - I do not think I have seen this BSOD before.

Anyway I have included the 3 crash dump files that were recorded.

Any further help is greeeeeatly appreciated. Thanks again.

- Dave.

Attachments

• Minidumps#2.zip
    72 KB · Views: 269
This will make your cd drive well:

1. Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image
    VistaStartButton.jpg

, and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK. Collapse this imageExpand this image
    SecurityShield.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry Editor.
  12. Restart the computer.
------------

Your NEC USB 3.0 host controller driver is causing the bsods now. Update that to latest, from your motherboard manufacturer's site.

Sorry to be a pain. There was no "UpperFilters" but I have deleted "LowerFilters". I cannot find any USB driver on the manufactuers website for my motherboard - GA-EX58-UD3R (rev. 1.7) - GIGABYTE. I have googled it and cannot find any USB 3 drivers full stop :(

Is there any other way to get a hold of NEC USB 3 drivers?

If that is your motherboard, then you don't even have any USB 3.0 ports. Therefore, the driver should not be on your system at all.

Code:
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8800441b16f, fffff880033692f8, fffff88003368b60}

Probably caused by : nusb3xhc.sys ( nusb3xhc+1b16f )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete nusb3xhc.sys.

Then open Regedit and continuosly search for and delete all entries found for "PxHlpa64.sys" until they're all gone.

Reboot and run Ccleaner to further clean the registry.

Another one off BSOD on boot. Hopefully this dump file can finalise the culprit. If it is still the USB 3 drivers I will take your advice previously and delete all USB 3 drivers (even although I do not use these ports).

Thanks!!! (I won't take up any more of your time).

- Dave

Attachments

• 093010-27986-01.rar
    20.8 KB · Views: 250
Hey, it's perfectly fine to post when you have a problem such as this.

This latest crash was caused by AppleCharger.sys. It is a driver so the motherboard can charge Apple hardware such as iPhones or iPods.

Two recommendations:

1) Update the motherboard bios to newest.

2) Update this driver to newest:

AppleCharger AppleCharger.sys Thu Apr 22 03:05:49 2010

On your motherboard page, it is in the utility section and is called On/Off Charge.

If you don't ever use this and don't plan to, then I recommend simply renaming it to AppleCharger.BAK and rebooting. This would be the best approach in the case it will not be used.

It is at C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Last edited:
Sigh. Playing some Eve online and got a BSOD. On reboot another BSOD, followed by another. Windows repair couldn't solve. Third reboot no issues and here we are.

I can't say my computer is exactly stable when I am not getting a BSOD (1 every few days as this thread describes) Firefox crashes randomly and random programs crash but not often, just occasionally.

Attachments

• 100210-18954-01.rar
    21.2 KB · Views: 225
Your video card driver is bugging out, but it's not the driver's fault:

Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c000001d, fffff880049c602e, fffff88005fec450, 0}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+1a602e )

Suggest to use Driver Sweeper from guru3d.com to clear the machine of all ATI everything, in safe mode.

Reboot and install the latest driver again:

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Do not change any CCC settings.

When playing games, use the latest version of ATI Tray Tools to set fan speed to max. If heat is the cause because of too much in your case or near the gpu, this will fix that.

"On reboot another BSOD, followed by another. " <<< could be because of heat
"Since then I have left desktop running and no BSOD for 6 hours" <<< could be because of no (or meaning less) heat

Or your card could be plain out bad.

-------

Scan for malware with Malwarebytes.

Update this NEC 3.0 USB driver from motherboard manufacturer's site:

nusb3hub nusb3hub.sys Thu Apr 22 21:34:35 2010

Last edited:
Final post. Due to the fact that I have reformatted previously and still recieve BSOD (unlikely to be gfx card driver fault or malware etc) and the fact that there are many different driver related crashes would it be fair to say that this is a hardware issue (mobo, cpu, gfx or ram).

This is a brand new machine which I built (and spent a small fortune on), the case has excellent air flow and cable management Link Removed due to 404 Error. I am about to contact the website I purchased it from: overclockers.co.uk and ask for a refund unless you think otherwise.

I have included dump files for today. If you could narrow down the hardware at fault from all the dumps (off the top of your heard) then I could ask for replacements of those items only.

Many thanks for your advice.

- Dave.

Attachments

• Minidumps final.rar
    73.8 KB · Views: 216
I don't think it's a hardware issue at all. In fact, I am completely sure one (or very possibly all) have been caused by the NEC driver which I have asked to update and has not been done yet. This particular driver from that exact particular date causes proven bsods. Here is yours:

Code:
Loading User Symbols
Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nusb3xhc.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nusb3xhc.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nusb3xhc.sys
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8800422d06f, fffff88003361fa8, fffff88003361810}

Probably caused by : nusb3xhc.sys ( nusb3xhc+2d06f )

Update it and it should be alright from here on out.

nusb3xhc nusb3xhc.sys Thu Apr 22 21:34:36 2010

----------

Also, I noticed an old Creative driver from 2008 amongst the many. Use Driver Sweeper in safe mode to clear Creative stuff. Then re-install the latest from Creative's website for your card.

ctac32k ctac32k.sys Wed Jul 02 04:38:22 2008

Last edited:
nusb3xhc nusb3xhc.sys Thu Apr 22 21:34:36 2010
NEC
Support & Downloads | NEC

100310-20186-01.dmp
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)
PROCESS_NAME: System
Probably caused by : nusb3xhc.sys ( nusb3xhc+2d06f )

Both of these things I have done. The USB drivers are the latest on gigabytes website, driver date 23/04/2010 and the creative drivers have been updated using the auto installer. I cannot find any update for ctac32k.sys :(

Use Driver Sweeper then install latest for Creative.

For NEC - Link Removed - Invalid URL

Update bios to newest.

Last edited:
404 NOT FOUND - THE REQUESTED FILE WAS NOT FOUND ON THIS SERVER. Any other download locations? (I have looked... all go to softpedia). Cannot update ctac32k.sys as I am not sure of my exact soundcare model. Thanks for reponses!

Edit: Bios is up to date, cheers.

Back