Windows 7 Random BSOD

VP2011

Hi... really hope someone can help.

I've been getting what appear to be random BSOD.

I have run memtest... no issues
I have run HD Pro... no issues
I believe I have the latest drivers and firmware installed

I have attached sys info file and dump / jcgriff report. These were created in safe mode.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Fred

Attachments

• BSOD 6 FEB 2012.ZIP
    936 KB · Views: 660
  • System Info 6 Feb 2012.zip
    64.8 KB · Views: 173
Code:
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, FixedSys][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]Crash dump file:        C:\Users\Mike\Downloads\BSOD 6 FEB 2012\Windows_NT6_BSOD_jcgriff2\020612-5522-01.dmp
Date/time:              2/5/2012 10:35:09 PM GMT
Uptime:                 00:16:13
Machine:                
Bug check name:         [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=MSDN+bugcheck+IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"]IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL[/URL]
Bug check code:         0xA
Bug check parm 1:       0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFE0
Bug check parm 2:       0x2
Bug check parm 3:       0x0
Bug check parm 4:       0xFFFFF8000271FA96
Probably caused by:     [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=ntoskrnl.exe"]ntoskrnl.exe[/URL]
Driver description:     [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=NT%20Kernel%20&%20System"]NT Kernel & System[/URL]
Driver product:         [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=Microsoft%C2%AE%20Windows%C2%AE%20Operating%20System"]Microsoft® Windows® Operating System[/URL]
Driver company:         [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=Microsoft%20Corporation"]Microsoft Corporation[/URL]
OS build:               
Architecture:           x64 (64 bit)
CPU count:              8
Page size:              4096

Bug check description:
This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

Comments:
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Code:
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]5/02/2012 10:33 PM	Application Error	Faulting application name: CarboniteUI.exe, version: 5.1.0.925, time stamp: 0x4edd2b3f
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x752c2e09
Faulting process id: 0xa94
Faulting application start time: 0x01cce45433070fcb
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Carbonite\Carbonite Backup\CarboniteUI.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 611373ea-5049-11e1-8813-bcaec5628f2c

This occurs right before the BSOD. Update Carbonite or remove it from your system temporarily.

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, FixedSys]There seems to be a trend with athrx.sys - Atheros Extensible LAN Wireless Device Driver causing BSODs. It is a loaded module at the time of the crash, and there are numerous references to it creating a problem. A solution would be to upgrade the driver, roll it back, or disable the device from devmgmt.msc if you can use a wired connection in the interim. By far, when this driver module is loaded and BSOD's occur, it appears to be related to this device driver.

Also make sure your iTunes/iPod software is updated. Another suspect module is GEARAspiWDM.sys. If you have any other CD-ROM/DVD burning software or emulator, like Daemon Tools, it may be critical that you uninstall the software to get the situation under control.

This BSOD is not specific enough to give a definitive cause, but to suggest the most likely scenario. Your situation is unusually similar to other ones mentioned with Atheros wireless. One of the reasons the crash does not seem to take place all the time is because the loaded modules in the crash do not seem to correspond to the loaded modules in your System Information file. Some of the modules are loaded manually and on demand.

Potentially old drivers in loaded modules:

[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, Courier, FixedSys]CarboniteNSE version is from 5/12/2011 and you should make sure you are using the latest version of Carbonite. If the system continues to blue screen, upload additional dump files and seriously consider removing Carbonite, at least temporarily.[/FONT][FONT=Courier New, Courier, FixedSys]

Make sure all Apple products have been updated to the latest version, especially Bonjour service and iTunes. If you do not have iTunes installed or use Apple products on your PC, remove Bonjour and associated software. It looks like you have components of the Bonjour service loaded into memory from 8/30/2011 and there may be an update.

[/FONT]

OK... many thanks for your help! I now have a jcgriff2 report after a BSOD with verifier running.
I really hope this gives us an answer to my BSOD problem.

Thanks, Fred

Attachments

• BSOD 11 FEB 2012.ZIP
    1.1 MB · Views: 858
I beleive I have found the issue, and my info , may assist others.

The issue is the Realtek High Definition Audio device and the associated realtek driver MBfilt64.sys

I have an Asus G53SW with Win 7 64bit

When I disbale this device through device manager, under sound video and game controllers, and the try to enable, I get BSOD.
Action I have taken;

1. Go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\ find the file MBfilt64.sys and rename to MBfilt64.old

2. Open device manager, by typing "device manager' in the Start search programs and file.

3. Under sound video and game controllers, I selected Reaktek High Definition Audio. I disbaled the device by right click select "disable". Then right click on it again, and select properties > driver tab > unistall driver (advanced) > check delete driver software for this device.

4. I then restarted. Windows 7 reinstalls Realtek Audio, with Microsoft drivers (I presume), as the driver MBfilt64.sys is no longer in the drivers folder.

So far no more BSOD.

Hope this helps and I will repost if this do not solve my BSOD.

Again, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Fred

UPDATE!!!

I think I may have found the problem, or at least the "key" to the problem.

I was having multiple drivers causing BSOD. Also, some programs were appearing to crash, so assumed they may have been culprits.

This has taken me 4 months, but I found a post on another forum where a user was experiencing similar BSODs.

The following advice was provided by the forum moderator...

1. Run cmd as administrator
2. type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quote marks)
3. Hit ENTER
4. Once done a message appears the the Windows Catalogue has been successfully reset

I have no idea what this means... BUT it appears to have solved my BSOD.

It would be great to know what to problem actually was... and how my actions solved it!

Hope this helps others!

Cheers

Fred

Back