Windows 7 Random Disconnects

Dan126

I have 2 computers, both wireless, but this computer is the only one it happens to.I have been having this problem for about a year now. It comes and goes randomly. Some times it happens multiple times an hour, some times I can go months without it happening.
My computer makes a noise like when its detecting new hardware, then my internet drops. Then I have to wait about 10 seconds for the symbol to appear on the connection bar so I can troubleshoot. Troubleshooting fixes it but its not a permanent fix, sometimes it will do it again right after, sometimes I can go months without it happening. This is what it says in the event viewer every time it happens.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Date: 3/10/2014 4:18:49 PM
Event ID: 1014
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: Dan-PC
Description:
Name resolution for the name dns.msftncsi.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client" Guid="{1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}" />
<EventID>1014</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-03-10T23:18:49.809466000Z" />
<EventRecordID>28561</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="1344" ThreadID="4928" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Dan-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-20" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="QueryName">dns.msftncsi.com</Data>
<Data Name="AddressLength">16</Data>
<Data Name="Address">02000035C0A801010000000000000000</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

• Is the WiFi hardware built into the computer or are you using an external dongle?
  • When it is not screwing up, how strong is the signal?
  • Do you actually lose the router connection or does it show as still connected but you don't have Internet access?

The WiFi is built in. Its a Netis WF-2118 802.11B/G/N 300Mbps
The signal strength is excellent. The router is only about 7 feet away.
I will have to double check next time to see if i'm still connected, but I think it is. The signal bars don't change, the caution symbol just appears on it. The bars don't turn red like they do when I'm not connected.

Sounds like a similar problem: http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=5341

The first reply on that thread suggests that the problem might be with your modem. BTW, as a first easy step, just verify that the cable connections between the wall and the modem are tight and the power connection is good at both ends. It's amazing how often something like a power pack not plugged all the way in will drive people nuts trying to find a "software problem".

Also, bad hardware doesn't heal itself. If the problem is with your modem, it is not likely to be defective hardware if the problem appears and then goes away again for months. Another thing to check--put the modem on the ups with your computer (assuming you have a ups; if not, get one). Power can momentarily wink out or brown out and you may not even notice it, but computer-based electronics can get lost in their underwear when it happens.

But my other wireless computer ( which is about 35 feet away from the router ) is not affected by this. Neither is my xbox 360 or my wireless tv that streams netflix. My modem and router do not shut off or reset. The modem would also not suffer from any momentary power loss, it has a battery that allows it to continue working without it being plugged in.

Forgot about that. You're right.

So the problem is on that computer and if you are not losing the connection, it points to a software problem rather than hardware. Software doesn't get borderline senile and just occasionally forget stuff on its own. Something is causing the settings to repeatedly become corrupted. If it happened just once, it would be a hiccup. A recurring problem would suggest some kind of conflict or incompatibility with other software, or a bad software install.

Think back a year to when the problem started. Around that time, did you install or update anything that has Internet hooks? (If you go to Uninstall or Change a Program in the Control Panel, the list of everything installed includes the installation date.) If so, try updating or re-installing it. Does the problem always happen while you are running a particular application?

Anybody else have any suggestions?

I've tried so many things I can't even remember them all. I've also re installed the OS so there was only the basic programs installed. The problem was still there. I'm at a total loss right now.

So its been almost a month without any disconnects. Now its doing it again. Anyone have any suggestions?

People try to help when they think of something that might be helpful. Intermittent problems are notoriously hard to solve, even harder when you are not at the computer. This may just be one of those problems that can't easily be diagnosed from afar.

Back