Windows 7 Random Freeze.

burial

Hello guys, ive used the search function and i unfortunatly havent found anything that has helped me.

computer specs :
Windows 7 64bit
Intel core quad processor Q8300
Nvidia GeForce GT220 1024mb gfx card.
6 gb DDR2 ram.

i bought the computer from a local retailer with windows 7 64 bit already installed so i have no cd.

the computer has bin working perfectly up untill around 2 to 3 weeks ago it randomly began to freeze the computer screen would freeze and the sound would freeze and loop like a skipping cd.
i would have to press the and hold the power button to turn the computer off.

i have no idea what the problem is.. i tried uninstalling un needed programs and other programs which i recently installed but to no avail..
i also downloaded the latest gfx card drivers but i still get the freeze.

can anyone help me please?

Before looking at your existing problem I would advise you to stave off another problem waiting to happen - when (not if) you need to reinstall your system and you have no means of recovery from a serious problem or from a crashed hard drive. Even though the system cam pre-installed you should have a recovery partition on your hard drive from which you could recover a system crash but not a complete hard drive failure You should also have the means to burn recovery disks from the recovery partition and I would strongly recommend you do this - see your user guide or check with the supplier. If at the worst your pc was not supplied with any means of recovery you should consider making your own provision for it using something like Acronis True Image to generate your own system image.

For the current problem I advise you run a system restore to some point predating the problem occurring then carefully monitor any system updates or fresh installs which might have caused it. You should set your windows updates to advise you of what is available and let you select what you want to install so you know what is happening. I would reject any automatic driver updates - I always check for driver updates myself from the manufacturer's website rather than allowing automatic updating of drivers which have been known to cause problems.

Well when i go in to the system restore menus it only gives me the options of restoring 07/08/2010 at which time the problem was already accuring..
is there a way i would be able to restore lets say 3 weeks back?

PatCooke is on the right track... But you won't find the links in "System Restore"... look in your start menu for something like "Create Restore Disks"... It's a small program that burns the installation from a hidden partition to DVDs for you...

PatCooke is on the right track... But you won't find the links in "System Restore"... look in your start menu for something like "Create Restore Disks"... It's a small program that burns the installation from a hidden partition to DVDs for you...
It may be that I have introduced some confusion here by raising the recovery issue. I wasn't mixing system recovery and system restore (a common enough confusion) - I was making two suggestions

1. to burn some recovery disks to guard against future problems
2. to try and solve the existing problem using system restore

But it seems that system restore is not an option as burial has no restore points going sufficiently far back.

Back
Top Bottom