Windows 7 Random / Idle BSODs Alternating Error Messages

smnbackwards

I have had BSOD problems for almost a year now. Their occurrence has ranged from frequent (a few within 10 min) to whole weeks without seeing one. I've read alot of other people's posts and tried alot of those suggestions so I will list what I have tried. First of all, the error happens either when the computer is idle, or when surfing the web (or not really doing anything). It has never occurred under a high performance situation (playing games or rendering). From January until yesterday, my Minidump files weren't saving, but I have some from December to the start of January and then two more. The errors most recently (that aren't in the minidump files) have been Bad Pool Header, PFN list Corrupt or Memory Management.

The steps I have taken sofar to solve the problem:
Ran Prime95 for 12 hours
Ran Memtest86+ for 8 passes/ 15 hours
Tested the GPU with Furmark and OCCT
Ran Verifier to try and force a BSOD
Wouldn't Boot, cited SmartDefrag as error, so I deinstalled it
Now boots and runs with Verifier running
I have reinstalled windows
Tried about 10 different past versions of the ATI driver and updated to the newest one

Right now I'm stumped, so I would appreciate any help I can get. I feel like the graphics card or the power supply is the problem. The minidumps used to cite ati services, but that has recently stopped. However I noticed the graphics card went down from a 7.0 to a 5.something on the windows experience. (this might just be an update to the index though) The reason why I say the powersupply is, because its generic and fairly low wattage so maybe its not delivering a steady supply so something like the memory is failing when the computer goes idle.
I have attached a zip with all the information requested in one of the stickied BSOD threads.
Thanks for your time. And I am ordering a new graphics card and power supply to test if they might solve to problem
View attachment Seven Forums.zip

Hi smnbackwards and Welcome to The Forum.

As a Priority:

sptd.sys Sun Jul 26 21:13:14 2009 The sptd.sys driver is notorious for causing BSOD's with Windows 7. It's a driver used and installed along with Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120 which you'll also have to uninstall.
Then use the correct (32bit or 64bit) download from Duplex Secure - Downloads to uninstall the SPTD.SYS driver.
Make sure to select the uninstall button! DO NOT SELECT INSTALL!!

There are a few drivers that could do with updating, but see how that gets you first.

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.

Thanks for the response Elmer,
I just got and installed a new PSU and Graphic Card (partially in solution to this but also because it was just about time for an upgrade anyways). So my plan is to wait for a BSOD, if one occurs then de-install Alcohol 120%.
OR do you think I should turn verifier.exe back on and try to get Alcohol to crash it?
Thanks for your help, its much appreciated.

I'd leave Verifier off, until you hit a situation were you're pretty sure it's a driver, but can't quite put your finger on which one.

Ok, so I have been gone since Wednesday and I come back today and turn on my computer and leave the room, when I come back it has blue screened with a memory management error. So I restart 'eager' to look at the dump file, and it hangs at the bios screen. So after about 3mins of waiting it goes into the bios and I find out it doesn't recognize my ssd, but does recognize my hdd and cd drive, so I switch the ssd's cable to a different port to check if its the port or the ssd that is broken, and again the ssd isn't recognized. So now I think one of the problems was my ssd. I had blue screens before I got my ssd, so I will keep looking for other causes. I'll keep you posted, and as always thanks for your help.

Back