Windows 7 Random persistent FREEZING in Windows 7 64-Bit on New i7 Toshiba laptop.

Rogerthat

Ok,
thank you for finding and reading this with a view to a simple solution?
I bought this Toshiba A660 series Dynabook about four months ago in Japan (where I live).
After a very painful upgrade with Windows 7 ULTIMATE for the ENGLISH LANGUAGE OPTION; I got the thing working in about 80% English.
Although the keyboard does switch some of the quotation marks around when it feel like it.
I installed Windows 32-bit Office 2007 on it because it is English and Windows Office 2010 is in Japanese. Too crazy to even begin to understand. Chinese Kanji is nuts to my eyes..
There is almost No other software/programs except Norton 2011.
ALL UPDATES are on it. Everything is updated.
Buuuuuuuuut
Regularly
Repeatedly
Randomly

the computer crashes. Locks up.

No specific program.
It locks up and crashes very regularly in Media Player.
It locks up on the internet regularly.
It locks up when if feel like it.

Ctrl, Alt Del will not function most of the time when this happens (freezing up).

The ONLY WAY to get the computer working again is to disconnect the power supply and pull out the battery.

I dont like doing that. It got so bad after a while that I sent it back to Toshiba who replaced the hard-drive. I lost tons of work.:mad:

However, not long after receiving it back it has started Freezing up again.

It is making me feel like SCREAMING.:neglected:

I have to keep switching work to my old Tosh Vista laptop and my XP Desktop. Which both work perfect. Desktop 10 year old. Laptop 3.

So why does this pile of trash keep freezing up?

I read it might be an i7 problem and that chip has been discontinued. If that is the case can I get my money back and my two-hundred hours of wasted life? :very_drunk:

Please advise.

After a very painful upgrade with Windows 7 ULTIMATE for the ENGLISH LANGUAGE OPTION;
An upgrade from what to Ultimate? It's always better to do a clean install of Windows 7 which even if you only have the upgrade media is possible. A read of Link Removed due to 404 Error blog will show you the way!

......and Windows Office 2010 is in Japanese. Too crazy to even begin to understand. Chinese Kanji is nuts to my eyes..
:D :D :D

There is almost No other software/programs except Norton 2011.
You may like to try uninstalling Norton as its track record with Windows 7 is not very good.
Norton is known to be a cause of BSOD's on many Windows 7 systems. I suggest that you uninstall Norton, then run the Norton Removal Tool (in Safe Mode preferably). Download Blue Screen friendly Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled!

Thanks Elmer.

I will re-type this. My post disappeared.

This laptop had Windows 7 normal? installed (Japanese) I upgraded it to Win 7 Ultimate (Japanese) and changed it to English.

I will delete Norton; but am cheesed off because I had it shipped to Japan from the UK for this laptop and it was not cheap.

I can not use Japanese Kanji Norton. No English Option.

Are Norton lying when they say it works with Windows 7 properly?

Misrepresenting their product?

Updates fail to improve the stability?

Anyway; thanks for the lead.

Norton saw this thread on my post there and updated me to Norton 2012 and indicate there is a slight freeze error with Windows 7 and Norton 2011. I hope this fixes things as I had to pull the battery a couple of times this morning already.

Updated and running.

Back
Top Bottom