Windows 7 Random reboot

robert188

So basically I will be In the middle of something and my pc just dies, not so much shuts down more like a power failure, it then restarts itself. It hasnt done it during any gaming so im sure its not anything overheating, monitoring programs says all mobo/processor/graphics card are all in good ranges as well as all voltages. Ive recently added a Hauppauge HVR-2250, an EVGA Geforce 465 GTX, and a ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT, as well as Installed Win 7 x64, and before these upgrades I had no problems like this. The rest of my Hardware is listed on my profile. The only thing I can think it is is my psu (Corsiar CMPSU-400CX) is going out or maybe i knocked something loose with my hardware upgrades. Also my cpu fan is touching the bottom of my power supply fan guard but is not pressing too hard against it whereas my last one didn't if that changes anything. Event viewer just shows Kernal-Power in the logs listed as critical (event ID: 41). anyways just wanted to hear any other thoughts before i go and replace my power supply, thanks ahead of time.

Hi Robert188,

Have you looked to see if there is a mini dump file? If there is download a program called "Who Crashed" and see what it says.

By the way - does anyone know what has happened to the checkl spelling icon?

Basher

Bad PSU and loose connections can cause bsod's. Are you sure it's the power supply, why do you think you need a new one?

It might be helpful looking at:

- your crash files located at C:\Windows\Minidump
- cpu-z MEMORY and CPU tabs, Passmark Rammon HTML.zip

... maybe i knocked something loose with my hardware upgrades.

If you really feel you knocked something loose then the first thing you wanna do is make sure connections are tight enough and the fans are spinning right without touching anything.

Let me clarify, I don't get any bsod it goes straight from working to black screen with all fans/hard drives stopping. The mini dump folder was empty (with hidden folders enabled). I already reopened my case and made sure all mobo, hard drive, cpu, and graphics card connectors were firmly seated as well as making sure the ram, graphics card, and sata connectors were firmly seated. Im also not sure that it is my power supply that is bad that is why i created this thread. cpuz screenshots are attached. thanks for replying i appreciate it.

Attachments

• cpuz3.bmp
    490.3 KB · Views: 553
  • cpuz2.bmp
    487.6 KB · Views: 545
  • cpuz1.bmp
    488.8 KB · Views: 522
From the EVGA site for the GTX 460:

Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply

For the GTX 465 superclocked:

Requirements
Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps.)

Last edited:
Memory and CPU are alright, at their stock values.

Let me clarify, I don't get any bsod it goes straight from working to black screen with all fans/hard drives stopping.

This and what Saltgrass spotted does sound like the Power supply. Especially if this happens as the work load jumps, insufficient PSU it is.

I know that my psu is a little underpowered however i can run crysis at max settings and play for an hour while recording live tv and i have no problems and voltages are stable. It seems the crashes occur when i am just browsing the internet or working with word or excel. That is why im not so sure that its insufficient power. (I purchased the power supply when i was thinking of buying an evga geforce gtx 460 ftw which only needs +12 volt 24amp current rated psu and couldn't take it back by the time i chose to step up to the 465 superclocked. Seems kinda weird that the next step up would need an extra 14 amps.) You guys are doing ur homework thanks.

Last edited:
Back