Windows 7 Random shutdown?

BariMutation

I've searched the very depths of Google, and I haven't found a real solution to this problem, but at least I know I'm not the only one. My computer will randomly shut down for no reason; sometimes I'm typing in Word, sometimes I'm using the internet - there seems to be no relation to the program I'm using to the random shutdown. I updated my BIOS, since that was recommended by a friend experiencing the same problem, but no dice. Anyone have a solution to this?

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Professional. I just recently upgraded from XP, where this issue never occurred. This has only started since the upgrade.

EDIT:
Okay, well, I just found some sort of continuity with all of this. I went to my event log and found that something called "EventLog" and "Kernel-Power" that happened with all my random shutdowns. The Kernel-Power would happen first, then the EventLog within a minute (or less) and poof, no more power. The Kernel-Power says that:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

But I know this isn't right, because this is a desktop with a constant power supply - no chance of the power getting knocked loose. Can anyone help me from here now that I've provided more info? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I've searched the very depths of Google, and I haven't found a real solution to this problem, but at least I know I'm not the only one. My computer will randomly shut down for no reason; sometimes I'm typing in Word, sometimes I'm using the internet - there seems to be no relation to the program I'm using to the random shutdown. I updated my BIOS, since that was recommended by a friend experiencing the same problem, but no dice. Anyone have a solution to this?

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 Professional. I just recently upgraded from XP, where this issue never occurred. This has only started since the upgrade.

EDIT:
Okay, well, I just found some sort of continuity with all of this. I went to my event log and found that something called "EventLog" and "Kernel-Power" that happened with all my random shutdowns. The Kernel-Power would happen first, then the EventLog within a minute (or less) and poof, no more power. The Kernel-Power says that:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

But I know this isn't right, because this is a desktop with a constant power supply - no chance of the power getting knocked loose. Can anyone help me from here now that I've provided more info? Thanks for any help!

First, I would take some contact cleaner to your molex or sata power connections. Second, I would test your memory at the dos level (via a boot disk). Third, I would see if your harddrive has any bad sectors and check its state of health (CrystalDiskInfo31 is good for that). Link Removed due to 404 Error

Good luck and happy new year.

You might try changing your power settings to see if it has any effect.

I suppose you might also look at the settings for you power button to see if changing it would have any effect.

I believe the Kernel Power log entries are the result of and not the cause of the problem. Something might be conflicting on your system that runs in the background. Maybe some checker is corrupting an area Windows 7 can't handle. Are you running any older programs that might be misbehaving? Do you have any devices plugged into your system, like a USB device or some type of gaming console?

EDIT:

This problem can also be caused by the interaction of Microsoft Security Essentials and ZoneAlarm (well documented). I trust you are not using that combination.

First, I would take some contact cleaner to your molex or sata power connections. Second, I would test your memory at the dos level (via a boot disk). Third, I would see if your harddrive has any bad sectors and check its state of health (CrystalDiskInfo31 is good for that). CrystalDiskInfo 3.1.0

I have not tried that, and will do so once I get home in about three-four hours. Thanks! And happy new year to you too!

You might try changing your power settings to see if it has any effect.

I suppose you might also look at the settings for you power button to see if changing it would have any effect.

I believe the Kernel Power log entries are the result of and not the cause of the problem. Something might be conflicting on your system that runs in the background. Maybe some checker is corrupting an area Windows 7 can't handle. Are you running any older programs that might be misbehaving? Do you have any devices plugged into your system, like a USB device or some type of gaming console?

I've tried changing power settings, since I have found that this often helps for other people, but no dice. The only thing that is always plugged into my computer is an external drive, which is 500 GB.

This problem can also be caused by the interaction of Microsoft Security Essentials and ZoneAlarm (well documented). I trust you are not using that combination.

I didn't even know that could be an issue, but no, I'm not lol

I just found out that two of my drivers were out of date, so I updated those last night... hopefully that helps... if not, I'll try busydog's suggestion when I get home. Thanks for all the help guys (and girls?)!

Sounds like power supply failing. You may be able to disconnect stuff that draws power like extra fans, hard drives etc and see if it runs longer or stops rebooting.... if so, it's probably the power supply.

Also, blow out your computer with a leaf blower... enough dust in the fins of the cpu cooler will cause it to overheat and shutdown.

Well, I followed tblount's advice along with updating all of my drivers... so far, no shut downs today. Hopefully that fixed it :D

Thanks all, I really hope this doesn't happen again. If it does, I'll try busydog's advice. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom