Windows 7 Random Shutdowns with New Rebuild

cjb4

Extraordinary Member
I have begun experiencing random shutdown with my system. I recently re-built my first build adding an SSD, new motherboard, graphics card and memory. here is the system configuration:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
Intel Core i7 2600K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3
GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1gb
Samsung SH-S223F DVD Writer
120 GB Patriot Wildfire SSD (boot drive)
1T Samg 7K 32M SATA2 and
300 GB Western Digital WDC WD3000HLFS-01G6U0
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W PSU
Cosmos Cooler Master Case
Samsung Syncmaster 2333
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
I ran the SF Dx tool and included screen shots of CPU-Z tabs and CBS.log filtered for just the SR (system restore) points from the sfc /scannow. Included all files in the zipped Seven Forum folder attached.
Here are the issues:
random shutdowns-periodically I will return to my computer and find a screen asking for a boot drive. hitting space will not work. i have to shut down using the power on button.
Usually it boot into windows after the first time. Occasionally I have to power on and off a couple of times.
screen bland for 10 to 20 seconds. Occasionally while switching between applications using Alt-Tab the screen will go blank for up to 20 seconds. It recovers on its own with a message saying my GPU shut down and was restarted.
I have never actually seen a BSOD (am I in the wrong forum?) but would like to fix these problems.
For a time I thought these were problems with my SSD and GPU but when I ran sfc and saw the number of files that weren't repaired I started having concerns. Oh and by the way I have run a variety of diagnostics on the SSD and GPU and nothing was revealed.
Any thoughts?
Next steps?

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 688
We've seen a number of BSOD issues with SSD's recently. Here's the information that I've compiled:
There's not a whole bunch available to test SSD's. The "easiest" test is to remove the SSD, install a platter-based hard drive, install Windows and test for stability that way.

Here's some suggestions:
- Update the SSD's firmware to the latest available version (VERY IMPORTANT!!!)
- Slow the memory (RAM) down to the next slower speed (I've only seen one person who claimed that this worked for them).
- Use any manufacturer's utilities that you may have. If you don't have any, then try this free one (I haven't used it myself): Crystal Dew World
- Update chipset and storage controller drivers to the latest available from the manufacturer of the device (not the manufacturer of the motherboard). Be sure to update ALL controllers on the motherboard!
....NOTE: Recently (Nov 2011) we had BSOD issues with the Marvell 91xx controller and an SSD. You may have to switch controllers also.-
Replace the SSD with a platter based hard drive and see if that stops the BSOD's. If it does, then it's likely that there's a problem with the SSD OR an incompatibility with your system.
It's my opinion that SSD's aren't reliable enough (with current hardware) to be used on a system that needs to work reliably. Until I see reliability I will not recommend, nor will I use, SSD's for critical applications.
06 Dec 2011 - This post tends to confirm issues with certain SSD chipsets and certain controllers - [SOLVED] cant find the cause of BSOD F4 - Tech Support Forum

A lot of STOP 0x117 BSOD's listed in MSINFO32. Please follow this troubleshooting guide (STOP 0x116 and 0x117 use the same instructions): STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting - Windows 7 Forums

This error in sfc.exe concerns me:
2012-02-11 10:10:45, Info CSI 0000016f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:22{11}]"shell32.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-shell32, Version = 6.1.7601.17678, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
It's a core Windows file and may be causing problems. So, let's fix the SSD issues as much as we can, then fix the video issues as much as we can - then we'll work on the above error (I suspect issues with the SSD may be preventing the repair - but am unsure).

Back