Windows 7 Random wake from sleep (yet another)

chimpybits

I've unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer" for the Ethernet device. My bluetooth mouse and keyboard have both been checked to "Allow this device to wake the computer" which is right, yes? I do want to be able to wake my computer via mouse or keyboard. I'm running Avira Antivir Personal Free (with a weekly update and scan) and no other AV software. Little else installed on this recently purchased computer.

Then there is the Task Scheduler. Unlike XP there are many triggers / scheduled tasks within the Microsoft Library. I could go through all of them and change the schedule, but this seems ridiculous. What is the point of having a "power plan" if it is ignored by these many triggers. If I do so, will a 7 update blow these away. Also, is it safe for me to tweak all these Microsoft triggers.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I Think with Vista it may have been Windows Customer Experience or Windows Error Reporting that I found causing that issue for me. If this was preinstalled on a new computer look for builder's update stuff too.
Joe

I have totally turned off Task Scheduler for several months and the only side effects were my computer runs faster and boots faster and ...well it just screams when I give it something to do... now that it's not wasting time running tests adn sending reports to microsoft. Here is a section from my document for on Speeding up Win 7 at the link in my tagline:

Ignore the html code... i'm too lazy to edit <P> out.

,P>The largest group of unnecessary processes that run are in the Task Scheduler
<P>By DEFAULT there are almost 150 tasks enabled after a clean install of Win 7.
Most don't actually run all the time but many are diagnostic tasks and some
tasks just send report logs to Microsoft. They are triggered by a multitude of
events and they take baud width and system resources. I'm convinced that there
are enough people who won't turn them off... and Microsoft can check with their
customer support department... to get a pretty good idea of what they need to
fix, WITHOUT using my computer. They should be paying me to leave these task
turned on.
<P>BAD: there are software programs that insert their updates checks, registration
check, error reporting, etc. from the Task Scheduler... they will tax the system
and can cause problems when they automatically activate. You can check for
updates from within your favorite applications. Updating every time a new feature
is available is using your system for beta testing.
<P>UGLY: worse of all are viruses/trojans/malware/crapware that uses Task Scheduler
to get loaded. When they are activated undesirable results are inevitable. If
Task Scheduler is turned off, that avenue will no longer be available for them
to do their dirty work.
<P>You can run Task Scheduler and disable them on an individual basis (if you want
to leave some running) or simply turn off the Task Scheduler. I have the entire
Task Scheduler disabled. It can NOT be disabled by unchecking a box when you run
Msconfig and go to Services. Here is the manual method to turn off the Task Scheduler.

<P>Run these commands from a command prompt or put them into a batch file and run it.
<P>takeown /f c:\windows\system32\taskschd.msc /a
<P>icacls c:\windows\system32\taskschd.msc /grant administrators:f
<P>cd c:\windows\system32
<P>ren taskschd.msc taskschd.mscc
<P>pause
<P>Verify that it DID get renamed. Things like sharing violations can still get in the way.

Have you tryed changing your power settings to disable "wake timers".
Start>>search for "Power" Click Power Options. Now click change plan settings and then Change Advanced Power Settings, now expand the "sleep" section and disable wake timers. Click OK.
:D

Wow thanks all - all helpful replies. I've gone with the simplest option - disabling "wake timers". Though I may check out tblount's suggestions to speed up Windows 7. I assume I will now have to run WIndows Update manually ... Anyway, I'm hoping this takes care of my machine's erratic sleep habits.

tblount, this is off-topic but thank you for your posting. I think it will be possible for members who have posted over a certain # of posts to be allowed to incorporate HTML in their posts. For security reasons it is disabled. (HTML injection hacks are the worst).

tblount, this is off-topic but thank you for your posting. I think it will be possible for members who have posted over a certain # of posts to be allowed to incorporate HTML in their posts. For security reasons it is disabled. (HTML injection hacks are the worst).

yeah... I had noticed it doesn't do anything and I was just lazy when I copied and pasted it from my sources. I don't think html suport it needed in these discussions.

Back