Windows 7 RC ending

First off the RC doesn't expire until March 2010.. ;) So there's no need to get rid of it.. Those that have a Technet Subscription will be able to download the RTM once released.. and those who don't can either continue using the RC as it will be fine to keep using until Oct 22 when the GA goes live.. OR they can get the RTM through the usual methods as I've no doubt that it will be leaked shortly after it goes live.. :)

I will be downloading the RTM via my Technet Subscription once it goes live but I just wanted to make sure those that don't have one don't think that they HAVE to download the RTM.. ;)

Radenight, thanx for the info. I was confused about the expiration date. I know this info will be useful to a lot of people. Especially me, as I need you to clear up some things I am now really confused about.
First please explain the timing of the RC, RTM, GA, and what does GA stand for, this is the first time I have heard of it. I always thought the RTM was the retail version that will be on shelves, in Oct. of (2009?). I guess I have just skimmed through the parts I should have been reading.

First off the RC doesn't expire until March 2010..
RC as it will be fine to keep using until Oct 22
One place you said, March 2010, the other Oct 22 (2009?), at least that is what it looks like to me. (But, I do get confused easily)

.. and those who don't can either continue using the RC as it will be fine to keep using until Oct 22 when the GA goes live.. OR they can get the RTM through the usual methods as I've no doubt that it will be leaked shortly after it goes live.. :)
So what is the timing here?

I'm not Radenight, but -

The RC operates normally until March 1, 2010. At that time it enters the mode of shutting down every two hours; I believe that lasts until June 1. After that, the RC won't be usable. (I know nothing of hacks to circumvent that.)

RTM means Release to Manufacturing. That build of the OS is the one that will appear on systems shipping from OEMs (Dell, HP, etc.) and appearing on the retail DVDs.

GA means "general availability". The retail OS is supposed to be on store shelves on 22 October 2009.

The Date for General Availability (GA) of Windows 7 is… - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog

There may be some Vista-to-Win7 upgrade coupon deals in place before the end of June (2009), but I believe that those are offered by retailers or PC manufacturers, not Microsoft.

Historically: Vista went RTM on 8 November, 2006. GA in the US was 30 January, 2007.

Sold!

still haven't bought vista (i'm no MS fanboy) I will be buying home premium the moment it becomes available good work.

I bought windows vista ultimate with upgrade coupon! 189.99, how could I pass that up, it's cheaper then just buying the upgrade for win7 ultimate!

Back