Windows 7 RC Help

Personally I would buy Professional or Ultimate.

Just buy the upgrade, no need for the full retail version.

I would also recommend a "clean" install, but be aware you'll need to save all your documents , pictures, video, etc. to a flash drive or external USB drive.

You'll also need to re-install your 3rd party apps.

Which one is the 'upgrade' only one? Just so I know what I'm buying, and I'm not to fussed about my saved documents etc, just want to get windows 7 properly up without the RC.

I ran into some weirdness with Ultimate (never did figure out why)... so I would recommend Professional. You get all the nice networking and mutimedia stuff and none of the moumental bloat of 231 or so languages.

The two links you provided both point to an upgrade, one is a straight upgrade that you will be able to use from Vista. The other is an upgrade anytime version, which would require that you have Windows 7 Starter installed already.
Hope this helps, and I also agree that Pro or Ultimate if you can afford it would be the better choice, rather than home premium.

Truthfully, I wouldn't buy it on Windows Anytime update.

You can find computer stores or office supplies stores that sell it and of course you can find better prices on the web.

Truthfully, I wouldn't buy it on Windows Anytime update.

You can find computer stores or office supplies stores that sell it and of course you can find better prices on the web.

Agreed, head into your local Staples Business depot (or other store) and pick-up your upgrade version, as stated by cybercore.
If you don't need some of the more advanced network and multimedia features, you'll be fine with Home Premium. I myself use it with pride ;)

Something to consider... If you ever have to do a "clean install" you may be happy you invested the few extra bucks and got the full version of whichever distro you settle on... Personally I would suggest either home premium or professional... ultimate has a lot of crap in it you'll probably never use and, as I mentioned before, I ran into some serious weirdness with Ultimate that cleared right up when I downgraded to professional... and, so far, I haven't missed a single feature of ultimate.

Agreed, totally forgot, honestly.

A clean install will give the absolute best performance, but of course you'll have to backup all your programs and data prior to reinstalling.

Of course you can use the upgrade disc to do a clean install (by "upgrading" twice) but you'll need a product key.

Back