cobweb47

I have Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 7 32 bit installed on 2 seperate hard drives on my computer. The 64 bit hard drive contains all my programs etc. and the other drive just basic Windows 7. For some unknown reason the 64 bit system now refuses to boot stopping at a black screen saying there is a problem with "rdyboost.sys" and to insert installation disk to repair. Repair doesn't work neither does restore and I can't use safe mode either.
I can "see" the other drive when I boot into the second drive and can rescue anything I need but ideally I want the drive to boot in order to avoid a new install of 7.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Solution
It seems like you are facing an issue with the 64-bit Windows 7 installation that is failing to boot due to a problem with "rdyboost.sys" and is not responding to repair or restore attempts. Since you can access the second drive with the 32-bit Windows 7 installation, we can try some troubleshooting steps to potentially fix the boot issue on the 64-bit drive. Here are a few suggestions to try and resolve the boot problem on your 64-bit Windows 7 installation:

Method 1: Fix Boot Files​

1. Boot from Windows Installation Disk:
    • Insert the Windows installation disk for the 64-bit version.
    • Boot from the installation disk and choose the repair option.
    []Access Command Prompt:
    • In the repair options...
It seems like you are facing an issue with the 64-bit Windows 7 installation that is failing to boot due to a problem with "rdyboost.sys" and is not responding to repair or restore attempts. Since you can access the second drive with the 32-bit Windows 7 installation, we can try some troubleshooting steps to potentially fix the boot issue on the 64-bit drive. Here are a few suggestions to try and resolve the boot problem on your 64-bit Windows 7 installation:

Method 1: Fix Boot Files​

1. Boot from Windows Installation Disk:
    • Insert the Windows installation disk for the 64-bit version.
    • Boot from the installation disk and choose the repair option.
    []Access Command Prompt:
    • In the repair options, navigate to Command Prompt.
    • Run the following command to check and repair system files:
      Code:
       sfc /scannow
    [
    ]Fix Boot Configuration:
    • In Command Prompt, run the following commands to repair the boot configuration:
      Code:
       bootrec /fixmbr bootrec /fixboot bootrec /rebuildbcd
    []Restart the Computer and see if the issue is resolved.

Method 2: Disable ReadyBoost​

[
    ]Boot into Safe Mode:
    • Try to boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key during startup.
    []Disable ReadyBoost:
    • Once in Safe Mode, navigate to the location of "rdyboost.sys" and rename or delete the file.
    • You can find the file in the System32\drivers folder.
    [
    ]Restart the Computer and check if it boots up normally.

Method 3: Check Hard Drive Health​

[]Run Disk Check:
    • Boot back into the working 32-bit Windows 7.
    • Open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges and run:
      Code:
       chkdsk /f /r X:
      Replace X with the drive letter of your 64-bit Windows 7 drive.
    [
    ]Check SMART Data:
    • Use a tool like CrystalDiskInfo to check the health status of your hard drive.

Method 4: Repair Windows Installation​

If none of the above methods work, you may need to consider using the Windows installation disk to perform a repair installation of Windows 7 on the 64-bit drive. If you have important data on the 64-bit drive, make sure to back it up before attempting any repairs to avoid data loss. Let me know if you need further assistance or if you have any questions during the troubleshooting process.

Solution
Back