Ready Boost

What is the maximum amount of memory use can use on your memory stick for ready boost. (say the memory stick was 1GB)

U

Unregistered

930MB on a 1GB San Disk Cruzer with U3 but the U3 files are still on the drive

What is ReadyBoost anyway?

U

Unregistered

Acording to Microsoft, Readyboost helps when you need more Memory for many programs to run at once, but I am not sure if it is true.

Kerry

Honorable Member
I bought a 2GB Apacer Handi-Steno HT-203 (supposedly the fastest) USB stick for my 2GB RAM Vista Ultimate PC w/2 WD 10K RPM Raptor HDDs and try as hard as I could , so as to justify the time and expense, I didn't notice an improvement in speed. I did see that the LED on the USB stick was flickering most all the time, lots of activity, but no sense of immediate refreshing of anything I had been working on.

I now use the Apacer for an emergency backup our web sites so I'm OK with the purchase.

It configures itself when you plug it in with a simple, "YES use for Ready Boost," and it can easily be reconfigured to use as a regular USB HDD.

Your experience may vary.

Kerry

from what I gather, The ready boost can help you alot if you would normally depend on paging files...(meaning you don't have much ram)
*(paging file is an area on the Hard Disk that Windows uses as if it is RAM)
*The hard drive is much slower to read from than a high speed flash drive

so say your comp has only 512 MB Ram; using ready boost would be much faster than using paging files on the hard drive to edit movies or whatever other high resource programs you run.

I have noticed that it seems to slow my comp down if I try using ready boost because 2 GB of ram takes care of most every day tasks and I don't usually need to use page files.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Readyboost only helps if your short on RAM. If you have 2GB or more don't bother.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
LOL, yeah that short :)

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.