Realtek HD Sound Crackles

My sound in Windows 7 crackles once in a while when listening to something, anything.

I tried two Realtek drivers, one Vista, one XP, with the XP being installed twice, second install was in compatibility mode.

This is the only thing keeping me away from Windows 7

Any solutions?

What about just using the ones found by Windows Update?
That worked for my Asus A8N Deluxe onboard Realtek sound.

re

My sound in Windows 7 crackles once in a while when listening to something, anything.

I tried two Realtek drivers, one Vista, one XP, with the XP being installed twice, second install was in compatibility mode.

This is the only thing keeping me away from Windows 7

Any solutions?

Unistall all drivers for sound card and install drivers only for vista ... Vista_R214.zip find in google. I have AC97 on motherboard .

Same problem and aside from spending about 2 hours uninstalling and reinstalling until it works. I haven't found a real solution. By the way, even when I do get it working a BSOD usally messes it up again.

BigFeet

I had a similar problem. Try going in to the device manager, open up sound, video and game controllers, right click on realtek AC97, and click update driver software. That worked for me.

Doesnt have sound, video and game controllers, just sound, where is the compatibility mode and where is the windows update for the driver.

Without sound is no fun microsoft

I had a similar problem. Try going in to the device manager, open up sound, video and game controllers, right click on realtek AC97, and click update driver software. That worked for me.
I don't believe I have AC97, how would you tell? My default XP installation has Realtek's High Definition Audio Codecs. So I've been trying those and I have them upgraded to the latest which was just released a few days ago. Still crackles.

Edit: I found my problem (stupid me). It was the program "Launch Manager" that I was using to make my hotkeys work on my laptop. I did a Windows 7 reinstall to see if that would fix the problem and kept checking the sound every time I added a new piece of software, that's how I found out what was causing it. When I have time I'll try out other versions of Launch Manager cause the one I'm using now doesn't control the volume, which is my main reason for getting it.

Last edited:
This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.