Windows 7 Reboot right before installation completes/hardware?

Brett

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so excuse me if I dont provide all relevant info right off the bat.

Today I built a new workstation for my job, got everything assembled and started the Windows 7 installation process. System looks like this

Antec Three Hundred Case
Corsair 550 W PSU
Core i7 920
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo
G.Skill DDR3 1333 3x2gb memory
WD VelociRaptor 150 GB HDD SATA
DVD R/W IDE
ATI FirePro V3700 Video Card

I flipped it on and the POST screen came up, could access BIOS no problem so I went ahead and put in my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OEM disk and started installing. The installation process runs, reboots once and gets to the completing installation check then abruptly reboots. The system comes back on and shows the "Windows did not restart properly screen" weather I start normally or in safe mode I get a message saying that windows cannot complete installation in safe mode, in safe mode, or "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click ok to restart..." After restarting and booting to the disk to repair the installation, the repair tool says it is unsuccessful and that there was a failure in the installation process.

I have been searching for most of the day for a solution and have found that the problem is common with some varying solutions, none of which have worked for me so far. I also attempted to install Fedora Linux to isolate the problem but the computer would reboot during that install process as well (I reformat the disk for clean install after every attempt). This leads me to believe I have a hardware problem so to further isolate that I have tried:

Re-seating my memory
setting my memory timings from 7-7-7-20 to 9-9-9-24 as the manufacturer states
Tried installing on a 7200 rpm SATA drive

Same problem everytime. Has anyone come across this issue with windows/new system before? I am a novice at troubleshooting PC hardware issues so any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Brett

Hey Brett,

Any luck with this problem. I have exactly the same issue and don't know what to do.

GA-X58A-UD3R
i7-920i
Corsair 6gb triple 7-7-7-20 XMP
PSU OCZ 850w
GTX280

Same prob as you, all boots well, installs win 7 fine (both on RAID or single hdd) and then at first reboot as soon as it is 'updating the registry' computer shuts down and restarts (power cut-off)

im desperate here, please help

Back