Windows 7 Receiving Error Message When Deploying Windows 7 with WDS

demitch256

Hi…I am attempting to test deploy a Windows 7 image to a VMusing VMware Workstation. I have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed as a DomainController with WDS. All network services, such as AD, DHCP and DNS have beeninstalled and configured as well. Both the install.wim and boot.wim files are stored on a separate drive (E)on theWDS server. My problem is…when I try to PXE-boot the VM to send the image, I get the following error message:

CLIENT MAC ADDRESS 00 0C 29 64 E4 5A GUID: 564D90FE-71D7-4F36-3893-38ACA864E45A
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Operating System not found

A quick hunch would leave me to believe that both image files weren’t stored onthe server, but I double checked and both files were present. I have the network adapter on the serverconfigured with a static IP address (192.168.1.10), as well as DHCP configuredwith a 10 IP address range. (192.168.1.11-192.168.1.20). I’ve heard that WDS shouldn’t be on the same DC as DHCP and DNS. Does this really matter? I’ve checked all of my configurations. I can’t figure out what else could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas? Would really appreciate some input.

Thanks,
demitch256

Did you try the VMware forums? They are pretty helpful and have some very knowledgeable regular posters there.
Joe

Back