Windows 7 Recent file paths not being saved.

civic2

Using Windows 7 RC 7100. Why don't previously used filepaths show up in the drop down menu when saving pictures? On Vista it would save the last 20 or so folders that I saved something to. On Windows 7 it just remains blank, as pictured.

Hello and welcome to teh Windows7forums

Are you referring to saving pictures from the Internet?

You said blank, but there is a path.

Very strange path, I don't even know if that will worrk.............F:\to be moved..............?

Windows 7 is different, but the path should stay the same.

In Windows 7, you have to click the drop-down box, click your cursor in the path (make sure it's not highlight, thebackspace to the previous folder and hit Enter.

Last edited:
No, the actual path doesn't matter, ignore that part.

See the drop down window. It's completely blank. It shouldn't be blank, it should be filled with whatever file paths I have previously saved things to. But it isn't, it just remains blank.

Is the path you want showing up in the list?
I don't know how to explain this more clearly to you.

look at the second picture, that is what it SHOULD look like, see the drop down box, it is full of previous locations. It's a history of file paths.

Now look at the first picture. That is what MINE looks like, the previous location box is completely empty and always remains that way. It doesn't keep a history. That is the problem here.

I'm not sure as i don't use that function often. Mine only shows a couple of paths in this box and i don't think they are paths i would have typed in manually for any reason but if i navigated to them by other means there should be more here.
The only thing I can suggest to you is to see if this behavior manifests in another user profile then you can assume it is a setting that was changed .....somewhere.

It's probably the path you typed in.

There are no folders to be display under a path such as F:\to be moved H:\ etc

There are no subfolders under that path, so it's blank.

It works correctly when you type in a valid path in your second example.

I'm not sure as i don't use that function often. Mine only shows a couple of paths in this box and i don't think they are paths i would have typed in manually for any reason but if i navigated to them by other means there should be more here.
The only thing I can suggest to you is to see if this behavior manifests in another user profile then you can assume it is a setting that was changed .....somewhere.

Yeah it gives me the same problem with other profiles, I assume it's some setting that was changed, I just need to know what. I know there's nothing I changed myself, I just installed the OS like 4 days ago. It has been doing this since the beginning. Almost as if something wasn't installed correctly.

It's probably the path you typed in.

There are no folders to be display under a path such as F:\to be moved H:\ etc

There are no subfolders under that path, so it's blank.

It works correctly when you type in a valid path in your second example.
Please stop posting. You're an idiot.

Hey civic2, I have been frustrated by the same problem. It's a pain not being able to pick from recent paths when saving files. If you find a solution please post backl to this thread with your solution. I will do the same if I have any luck.

Hey civic2, I have been frustrated by the same problem. It's a pain not being able to pick from recent paths when saving files. If you find a solution please post backl to this thread with your solution. I will do the same if I have any luck.

I have been making due with this Recent Places folder on the left hand side. It basically does the same exact thing as the drop down, just not as easily accessible.

Here's what mine shows when I try to save stuff. Your issue is obviously not something W7 does normally.

If I were you I wouldn't call anybody here an "idiot". If you keep that crap up you could find yourself not getting the help you are asking for.

I have figured out I can use the recent places option on the left tool bar as well. Not my first choice since I was used to doing it the other way in Vista.

Hey Stueycaster, I am glad to see it does behave the way we want it to for somebody. I have had the same issue with both RC and RTM installs of Windows 7 on the same machine. Both clean installs. I wonder if a security type program has modified the registry in some way as to cause it. I do have AVG anti-virus free edition installed. Maybe I uninstall it and see if the behavior changes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom