Windows 7 Recent Items showing programs as well as documents

Chronia

Hi There,

I'm having a bit of an odd problem with the "Recent Items" menu on the start menu. I have found many google searches on this topic but none that answer my particular question. the question I have is simple can I set it up so that the recent items menu only shows recently opened documents and pics and NOT recently used programs? Recently used programs just clutter up the list and feat the purpose of it being there at all as I have quick launch icons for the programs I use frequently. I'd like the recent Items list to function the way the recent documents list did in vista, as this is ALOT more useful and it only included recent documents and pcitures, not programs. The idea is that I have a short cut to documents I am using frequently without having to go the long route of locating them on my computer to opent them. Is there a way to do this?

I appreciate an constructive and positive feedback on this issue.

Thanks!

Click on the orb, right click in an unused area on the right (just to the right or left of your user picture will work), click on properties, select the startmenu tab, Uncheck the item "store and display recently opened programs" box.

Click on the orb, right click in an unused area on the right (just to the right or left of your user picture will work), click on properties, select the startmenu tab, Uncheck the item "store and display recently opened programs" box.

The box wasn't checked to begin with and it still shows recently opened programs in addition to documents and pictures. :(

The box is greyed out but it is set to zero by default, and it still shows programs :(

You did try checking the show programs options and let it stay that way for a short period..? Maybe when you then uncheck the box, it will reset and then agree with your selection.

I think I discovered what the problem is. It's counting shortcuts to specific programs as files, which I do not know how to change, because it isn't showing every single program I launch now. It's just showing vnc (which is a remote access program) and my *.torrent file types, which, is a tad annoying they are included, but given they are a file type I'm guessing nothing can be down about that. It would be nice to be able to remove vnc from the recent items menu so it doesn't show up there all the time, but I am guessing you can't pick and choose which file types or programs are included or not. If there is a way though I would love to hear how to do it.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this. It's been most appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom