Windows 7 recording audio

kid091

I have a X-Fi Platinum Fatality upgraded to W7 64bit from XP Pro and now I don't have a recording device, everything else works just fine I used to be able to click and record but since installing W7 there's no wave device or input to record, I don't want to use a microphone to record I should be able to record anything going thru my soundcard at any time and not using "what u hear" is not an option I like using there's has to be some else having the same problem I have been dealing with this since for almost a year so you know I've tried alot of usual things I need some new ideas to try

Last edited:
I had XP-Pro SP3 32bit then I installed w7 rc1 64bit on a formatted hard drive ran that since it came out then bought the w7 pro installed 10-23-09 I used to be able to record with XP with no problem I didn't need a microphone or have to plug something in I want to be able to click the record button and record whatever sound that is going thru my sound card and not the What U hear

optical yes on the front panel in & out and there's what u hear there but it's unavailable I,ve already spent way too much time at Creative and there aint shit there as usual I'm capable of alot of things on a computer I,ve been trying to figure this out since 10.23.09 everything else on this system is just fine I can't record since w7 install

Last edited:
it says that under all of them and no I don't have an old card I have X-Fi Fatality sb0466 platinum

Do you mean they're all grayed out?

Try connecting some external speakers to the jacks and see if they are available now.

What is the exact make and model of your sound card?

Did you get the drivers directly from Nvidia?

Could you provide a screen shot of your audio properties where these items show up?

Did you try the external speakers?

From what I have seen, the Aux Audio or maybe record what you hear option was provided by a driver not in Win 7. It was possibly the wdmaud.sys driver, but for whatever reason, possibly DRM, it is no longer available.

Maybe someone knows a way to install it, but I would suggest using a patch cord from your speaker to your line in. I have seen patch cords that have two connectors, so you can connect the front speakers and still have a plug for the line in plug.

I have not done it myself, but if I can find a patch cord, I will try. I am assuming when something is plugged into the line in, the graphic will show if you right click on the speaker icon and select recording devices.
From my reading, it appears something called WaveMix was available up to the 7000 beta. In those, you could show disabled devices in the Playback or recording areas and the wavemix would show up. But it looks like it is no longer in the later versions. If anyone has a beta prior to 7100, maybe they could check to see if something might be done.

Last edited:
Yes saltgrass, you are right.

They have removed the WhatUHear due to copyright policies.

Just imagine, you could record anything and everything

I got mine to work, but I had to install some Vista Audio drivers which contain Legacy components. Then the Show Disabled option worked and I enabled the Stereo Mix option.

I have a X-Fi Platinum Fatality upgraded to W7 64bit from XP Pro and now I don't have a recording device, everything else works just fine I used to be able to click and record but since installing W7 there's no wave device or input to record, I don't want to use a microphone to record I should be able to record anything going thru my soundcard at any time and not using "what u hear" is not an option I like using there's has to be some else having the same problem I have been dealing with this since for almost a year so you know I've tried alot of usual things I need some new ideas to try

There are a ton... well at least a dozen, programs that will record anything that passes through the sound card. I have about 10 or 12 cd's that recorded from my sound card. Just google or check downloads.com There are probably several good free ones. Doesn't winamp even do this too?

well I've been trying since 10.23.09 to fix this and cannot, come to find out my sound card is not compatible with Windows 7 so that pissed me off because this is the second X-Fi Platinum I bought because the first wasn't compatible with the chipset and I had to jump through hoops to get that first one to work. so I took my second sound card out and I am using the onboard sound now until I cool off or buy another so thanks for all who replied or treid to help

Just get a sound recorder... easy and they work with no frustration. A typical cd will hold 12 hours of music.. if you have a dvd MP3 player you can put on enough music - one ONE disk - to drive from Jacksonville Fla, to Sandiego Ca and turn around and come back ... BEFORE you would hear the firs song again. That's at 128 bitrate.. if you boost it up to 192 bitrate - to improve quality - you'll run out of music on your return trip when you get to Dallas.

Yeah I realize that knowing that is a pretty good sign that I need to get a life.

I don't uderstand why Nvidia work not have a Windows 7 driver as this card is not that old.

Have you gone directly to Nvidia's site and punched in your sound card make and model.

I would also check this link:

Windows Compatibility Center

Back