Recover through system image

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by meridius10, Oct 7, 2012.

1. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

I am not sure how to recover through a system image.

Will I be given options to create new partitions (C and D drives) if this is necessary and then individually allocate my backup system image partitions to the partitions of my choice?

2. mikie

mikie New Member

Think if windows made a 'system image', it didn't include your D drive.
    Windows system image default will save the boot & windows drives along with the partition tables for them.
    Wise to restore them booting from the System Repair Disc it suggests you make ... or the repair option on a Windows7 dvd install disc.

3. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

I am pretty sure that I made a system image of both the C and D drives.

So if I wipe the HDD the partitions with free space will automatically be created by the Windows System Image disk coupled with the Repair Disk? What happens if I put in a larger HDD. Will it still create the same partitions with free space automatically?

I don't intend to do this now at all. This is 'just in case' something like this happens in the future and I am unable to do a system restore without using the system image disk.

4. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

If you need (and at some time most people do) to rely on recovery from an image I would strongly recommend Acronis True Image. You can get full trial download, it is not expensive and IMHO is the most comprehensive and reliable imaging system:

Backup software for data backup and recovery | Acronis

5. meridius10

meridius10 New Member

Thanks. I will test it out...