Windows Vista Recovery disc's

Jimbo22

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Any body no where I can get a set of recovery disc's for an HP Pavilion a645w desktop pc. I have checked with HP and they advised me that my parents computer is 5 years old and they no longer have any recovery disc's for this computer. That was through emails and online chat sessions. My dad Has made the recovery disc's when he first got the computer but since then has misplaced them. He is up there in years and cant remember a lot of stuff. He has downloaded some sort of worm, Trojan and cant even access the internet. Any info please. Thanks.

To organize a relatively quick recovery, you should re-install Windows. Use an OEM copy of Windows, or if your computer has a official Windows product key on it, you should be able to get replacement discs from the vendor. I am surprised that they won't supply you with recovery media. If not, though, ask them for your CD. Insert the CD/DVD-ROM into your computer, and launch a boot menu to do a clean install.

Before doing this, you could swap out the hard drive and attempt to piggy back this drive using a USB external HD enclosure or another SATA/IDE channel on the computer. Ultimately, it is up to the vendor to provide you with recovery media and installation discs. I would recommend maintaining backups using a removable USB drive in the future.

To organize a relatively quick recovery, you should re-install Windows. Use an OEM copy of Windows, or if your computer has a official Windows product key on it, you should be able to get replacement discs from the vendor. I am surprised that they won't supply you with recovery media. If not, though, ask them for your CD. Insert the CD/DVD-ROM into your computer, and launch a boot menu to do a clean install.

Before doing this, you could swap out the hard drive and attempt to piggy back this drive using a USB external HD enclosure or another SATA/IDE channel on the computer. Ultimately, it is up to the vendor to provide you with recovery media and installation discs. I would recommend maintaining backups using a removable USB drive in the future.

That is my whole problem, they don't have the OEM copy of windows, where do I get one? HP is no longer making these for the older PC's. So I am the the go to fix guy for my family, with out the disc's I cant fix it. To the second part of your reply....most definitely, way ahead on that part. I just need the recovery disc's. So what else can I do? Thanks.

Any body no where I can get a set of recovery disc's for an HP Pavilion a645w desktop pc. I have checked with HP and they advised me that my parents computer is 5 years old and they no longer have any recovery disc's for this computer. That was through emails and online chat sessions. My dad Has made the recovery disc's when he first got the computer but since then has misplaced them. He is up there in years and cant remember a lot of stuff. He has downloaded some sort of worm, Trojan and cant even access the internet. Any info please. Thanks.

Have you tried the possible solution found here:

http://winvistaforums.com/security-zone/16254-conflicker-worm.html

The problem I have with that is, the pc cant download any thing. It can bring up it's home page but any thing after that is a no go. I would love to put those on the pc, as the pc is unprotected. Nothing, no antivirus, firewall and not adware, spyware removal programs....yet he has it connected to the net via cable modem. I am begining to wonder if he didn't get that April 1st worm thingy. It fits the time frame.

Exactly! Which is why I posted the above thread... Can you not download the needed files using another pc/laptop? You could then put them on a disk or whatever and install on the infected machine...

Dued I dont know what the hell I was thinking...major brain fart....I guess I was stuck on the disc's themselv's. Point well taken and sorry for the confusion on my end. This turned out to be a good laugh.

Lol....no worries

Lets hope you can fix the pc... Good luck!

Back