Windows 7 recovery disk

alfrae

Just bought new HP laptop. We like to have a recovery disk but don't know how to do it. Because windows is OEM microsoft won't help neither HP. Staples wants to get paid. Can I make one myself and how?

Saying a "Recovery Disk" is a fairly general term. Could you be more specific as to what type you want to make.

Is it a Windows 7 System Repair disk you can make from the Maintenance folder?

Is it an OEM recovery disk you might make for that system which is used in conjuction with a recovery partition to restore you system to factory settings?

Is it a Windows 7 Install type DVD you want to have?

OEM systems have different procedures for recovery for different models, just let us know.

Look for an application or link within Start Menu for creating the System Recovery Disk. There is usually an application that will create a single set of disk. They started doing things this way to keep from having to package the disk in with the PC. Instead of supplying disk, they give the consumer a way to create their own. If I'm not mistaken, it's part of the OEM agreement that Windows Installation disk, System Recovery disk, or at least an option for the consumer to create System Recovery Disk be available to them.

In other words, I could build you a system with Windows OEM installed. But then I would have to supply a way for you to recover from a drive failure. I would also be entitled to place an OEM sticker somewhere visible on the PC's case.

Look on HP site they should have a tutorial on how to make the set. It's one of the first things you want to do.
Joe

Back