Windows 10 Recovery options

mdWV

HI all,
I'm running Win 10 Pro 32-bit Anniv. Ed.
I've created a DVD Repair Disc, a USB Recovery Drive, and a bootable ISO on DVD.

I understand that the Repair Disc has an option to return to an earlier Restore Point. When would a USB Recovery Drive be needed, instead? What does it offer over a Repair Disc and if I have the Recovery Drive do I even need a Repair Disc?

When would I need the bootable ISO? What is the value of having it in addition to the Recovery Drive?

Thanks you.
Mark

I've created a DVD Repair Disc, a USB Recovery Drive, and a bootable ISO on DVD
assume your system stops working next week then ask yourself how much of an issue that will cause you?

I understand that the Repair Disc has an option to return to an earlier Restore Point. When would a USB Recovery Drive be needed, instead? What does it offer over a Repair Disc and if I have the Recovery Drive do I even need a Repair Disc?
a usb fits in your pocket, gets dropped in a bucket of water and still works 4 years from now!

When would I need the bootable ISO? What is the value of having it in addition to the Recovery Drive?
when the system stops working your recovery drive may not boot... thats when a bootable iso will let you get back into your system and grab the files that may still be ok so that you can copy them over to the new computer.

Thanks, ussnorway, but I was hoping there was more to it than one can fit in my pocket and the other can't ... ???
Mark

When the time comes when you need to boot from a USB drive, you would have to go to BIOS boot order

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Hi

No matter what repair disks you make...

My preference is to create a System Image file and save it on a separate drive or partition than Windows.
You will need to keep it up to date, by creating a new image once in a while, I do it every month.

I use EaseUS Todo backup.
It's free works really well and is super easy to use.

EaseUS Todo Backup for Personal - Best PC Backup & Recovery Solution

You can literally back up you computer with 3 clicks.

It will create a recovery DVD in either Windows PE or Linux format, (either will work on your PC) and it will backup your Windows installation and anything else on your C:\ drive in a fairly short time, (for me about 20 minutes) and it will boot a dead computer and restore it in about the same amount of time it takes to back it up.

Everyone should have a System Image, it will let you recover a corrupted Windows install, remove any kind of Virus or correct anything that isn't working by wiping your C:\ drive and restoring your system back to the last time everything worked correctly.

I can't tell you how many times it's saved my computer over the years.

Mike

Hi

No matter what repair disks you make...

My preference is to create a System Image file and save it on a separate drive or partition than Windows.
You will need to keep it up to date, by creating a new image once in a while, I do it every month.

I use EaseUS Todo backup.
It's free works really well and is super easy to use.

You can literally back up you computer with 3 clicks.

It will create a recovery DVD in either Windows PE or Linux format, (either will work on your PC) and it will backup your Windows installation and anything else on your C:\ drive in a fairly short time, (for me about 20 minutes) and it will boot a dead computer and restore it in about the same amount of time it takes to back it up.

Everyone should have a System Image, it will let you recover a corrupted Windows install, remove any kind of Virus or correct anything that isn't working by wiping your C:\ drive and restoring your system back to the last time everything worked correctly.

I can't tell you how many times it's saved my computer over the years.

Mike
I understand that, Mike, and that would be my preferred backup if I could afford the $60 or so for a 1T external drive. At his time, however, I'm stuck with having a Repair Disc (DVD), a USB Recovery Drive, and a bootable ISO on DVD. My original questions remain and I hope someone can help answer those.
Thanks,
Mark

a Repair Disc (DVD)
if you made it yourself then it should be ok for about 1/2 a year before the files become corrupt... factory made disc last forever if you look after them

a USB Recovery Drive
good forever... in theory a magnet can upset the data but it would need to be very powerful

a bootable ISO on DVD
a bootable usb is better because a dvd doesn't last as long but this is better than nothing

p.s, perhaps you could try asking different questions?

if you made it yourself then it should be ok for about 1/2 a year before the files become corrupt... factory made disc last forever if you look after them

good forever... in theory a magnet can upset the data but it would need to be very powerful

a bootable usb is better because a dvd doesn't last as long but this is better than nothing

p.s, perhaps you could try asking different questions?
Please read the original posting again, ussnorway. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi

You don't need an external drive, just a partition on your hard drive large enough to hold the back up file.
It depends on how much free space you have on your drive.

If you have enough space, you can create a partition in disk management.

You can get an external 1 TB drive now for $50.

Amazon.com: WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBUZG0010BBK-EESN: Computers & Accessories

Mike
Thanks for looking that up, Mike. Looks like there would be free shipping, so it would save me $10. Much appreciated.

Yes, I realize that if I had a large enough HDD and space available I could create a partition and use that to store a system image. Hopefully, if my system ever broke down it wouldn't be because of a problem with the HDD that's storing my backup system image.

I've followed a number of your posts and know that you know your stuff. I realize that an external image of the whole system is the way to go, with an internal partition containing the image a close second, right? I think the advice you're giving me is the best advice and I thank you for that.

Nevertheless, until I acquire an external HDD, would you advise me not to bother making a repair disc or a USB recovery drive, and/or burn an ISO image? I'm guessing, no, you wouldn't advise that. Making one, two or all three of those things seems to be one of the first things that people are advised to do after buying a computer or installing/updating operating systems, etc. I'm guessing you would advise me (until I could get an external HDD!!) to at least make a repair disc which (assuming it's a software problem) might allow me to boot up to some of the repair options, including returning to a working restore point. Would you go on and advise me to make all three of the recovery options (repair disc, recovery drive, burned ISO image)? If so, why, and would there be any value in having a repair disc AND a USB recovery drive, or are they redundant to each other?

Thanks for your help, and if I can sell the idea to my financial planner (wife), I'll be visiting Amazon soon.
Mark

Hi

You have to do what you can but many Windows 10 recovery options involve losing data, and don't always work.
I'm just pointing out one of the most effective way of safeguarding the data on your computer.

Because I was in the graphic design business for a long time and had 20 years of files to protect I'm paranoid about backing data up.

I have a 250 gig SSD that has only Windows on it, no software, and no data.

Everything else is on other internal drives, and then backed up to external drive as well.
The only thing I use the image file for is Windows, this makes for speedy backups and recovery when I need to do it.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

You have to do what you can but many Windows 10 recovery options involve losing data, and don't always work.
I'm just pointing out one of the most effective way of safeguarding the data on your computer.

Because I was in the graphic design business for a long time and had 20 years of files to protect I'm paranoid about backing data up.

I have a 250 gig SSD that has only Windows on it, no software, and no data.

Everything else is on other internal drives, and then backed up to external drive as well.
The only thing I use the image file for it Windows, this makes for speedy backups and recovery when I need to do it.

Mike
Okay, I sent away for the external drive and will make a full system image. I should have enough space to partition the drive and save an image of a second computer, too. If a time comes, however, when I can't boot up enough to reinstall the image, then I'll still want to have a repair disc handy, correct? Should I toss the recovery drive and burned ISO?

Hi

EaseUS Todo backup will create a DVD that will boot your computer if it's unbootable.

It's a simple process just select create repair disk or something like that, (I'm on my iPad and can't look).

You just put in a DVD and click the option, it will do it in either Windows PE, or Linux format.
I made one of each, but my preference is Linux.

If your computer won't boot you just put in the disk start your computer and it will boot from the disk and open the restore program.

All you have to do then is navigate to the backup file in the interface and click "Restore".
It will format the partition and copy your C:\ partition back just the way it was when you created the backup, boot sector and all, and boot your computer back into Windows again when it's done.

You can download the software install it and make your disk now, so that you can see how it works, and see that the disk will boot your computer.

I've been using this free software for years and it has never failed to work.
I had to restore my computer 7 times when I was beta testing Windows 10.

I always keep two backups, a new one and the previous one, and create a new one and delete the oldest one every month or so, or if I know I'm going to do something risky.

For me this takes less than 20 minutes because I'm only backing up my Windows install and a few programs, about 100 gigabytes.

I prefer to back up my data by just copying it to the back up drive with no other software involved, no worries about a corrupt backup file, just copy it back when you need it.

My rule, "Never have anything that you can't afford to lose on only one drive".

Another handy free program is, Restore Point Maker, just click on it to create a restore point when ever you want to.

Download Restore Point Creator - MajorGeeks

The next time you get a new computer, the first thing you should do is create a new partition that uses all but about 150 gigabytes of the hard drive isolating Window from the rest of the drive in the small partition then install all your software etc. in the larger partition, (just change the C:\ to D:\ and leave the rest of the address alone) for example "D:\ Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop, Windows doesn't care where you install most software.

Then your system image only has to backup Windows, and not your programs and data over and over again.

Or just get your new computer with a 250 GB SSD for you OS to start with if it's a desktop.

Like I said, I'm paranoid about this, but I have had my computer hit by lightning, twice!
Hint don't live at the highest spot in the county. LOL

I now unplug everything the second I hear thunder.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. Appreciate the effort and nice job in explaining how you safeguard your system and for providing the links.
P.S. I also live on the highest point of the county and know what you mean about unplugging at the first sound of thunder or if I'm going away and there's even a chance of lightening. Will continue to do so, but will feel even better knowing there's a full image available sitting in a drawer if needed.
Mark

It's also a good idea to make and keep all the RECOVERY or RESCUE media the maker of your computer allows you to create, along with the Microsoft discs or USB. There are hundreds probably thousands of different ways that your computer can fail, and there are times when restoring your Image Backup file may not be necessary or may not work *in the case of failed hardware*. You want to have as many repair/rescue tools available to you or the person you pay to fix your computer as possible. Angsting over throwing out 1 or 2 extra DVD/CD discs or USB drives which might total $10 for all 3 just makes no sense whatsoever IMO:rolleyes:. In over 10 years, I've never seen anyone so bent on getting rid of 1 or more pieces of low-cost rescue media. The few dollars you invested might allow you to keep from having to spend days, weeks, or months of rebuilding your computer from scratch, so why throw away any one of them? I just don't see the logic there. Perhaps you are not understanding that each of them does slightly different tasks, they are not all duplicates of one another. They are used for different things. I regularly tell Customers not to throw away any manuals, or discs, or usb drives that come with their brand new computers. Most folks who have owned a computer before know to do this. But, yet a majority of my customers throw this stuff away, telling me when I ask them for it, "I didn't think I'd ever need it", or "computers are made much better these days, and that stuff will never be needed, it's just taking up space in my drawer!", etc. etc. Many say they had it once, but can't find it, the dog ate it, etc. etc. Hell, if they knew how really important that media was they'd spend the time to lock it into a fireproof safe or take it to their bank safety deposit box. But, they don't, and take it for granted that the repair Tech can reproduce all this media--truth is we can't. We often have to work around it.

Keep all those discs in a safe place-for as long as you own the computer. period. My 2 cents.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

It's also a good idea to make and keep all the RECOVERY or RESCUE media the maker of your computer allows you to create, along with the Microsoft discs or USB. There are hundreds probably thousands of different ways that your computer can fail, and there are times when restoring your Image Backup file may not be necessary or may not work *in the case of failed hardware*. You want to have as many repair/rescue tools available to you or the person you pay to fix your computer as possible. Angsting over throwing out 1 or 2 extra DVD/CD discs or USB drives which might total $10 for all 3 just makes no sense whatsoever IMO:rolleyes:. In over 10 years, I've never seen anyone so bent on getting rid of 1 or more pieces of low-cost rescue media. The few dollars you invested might allow you to keep from having to spend days, weeks, or months of rebuilding your computer from scratch, so why throw away any one of them? I just don't see the logic there. Perhaps you are not understanding that each of them does slightly different tasks, they are not all duplicates of one another. They are used for different things. I regularly tell Customers not to throw away any manuals, or discs, or usb drives that come with their brand new computers. Most folks who have owned a computer before know to do this. But, yet a majority of my customers throw this stuff away, telling me when I ask them for it, "I didn't think I'd ever need it", or "computers are made much better these days, and that stuff will never be needed, it's just taking up space in my drawer!", etc. etc. Many say they had it once, but can't find it, the dog ate it, etc. etc. Hell, if they knew how really important that media was they'd spend the time to lock it into a fireproof safe or take it to their bank safety deposit box. But, they don't, and take it for granted that the repair Tech can reproduce all this media--truth is we can't. We often have to work around it.

Keep all those discs in a safe place-for as long as you own the computer. period. My 2 cents.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

First, thanks BIGBEARJEDI for the response and your advice, which I intend to take, while also following Mike's advice to burn a system image on a separate drive. To me, a separate, stored image seems the best course if there's some kind of hardware failure, for example the main drive itself, and I want the system returned to what it was, complete with programs, files, Favorites and W10 authentication (no Key -- it was updated from W7 Pro).

Second, if you meant me about being so bent on getting rid of low-cost rescue media, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to clarify the necessity of keeping those "standard" repair options once I receive my external drive. (Thanks again, Mike, for the "push" to actually do what I had been wanting to do).

BIGBEARJEDI, as you stated, "Perhaps you are not understanding that each of them does slightly different tasks, they are not all duplicates of one another. They are used for different things".

YES! That is exactly what I was not understanding and was what I (thought) I was asking via my original post. I've left a half-completed Word document open where I was hoping to write down some of those differences & uses for future reference.

Mark

Back