Windows 8 recovery partition

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I bought my laptop and desktop together and they are similar. because a Dell tech deleted the recovery partition on my desktop when I got it, it is not there but the laptop's is still there.

I have moved from Win 7 which was the OS when they were new to 8 then 8.1.

My question is this, is it necessary to keep this recovery partition since it was 7 and is now 8.1 or should I remove it if it is no good?
Thank you
Peter

Up to you. My recovery partition total about 37 gigabytes. And really that's not enough for me to worry about much at all. Plus it's handy to have around, in case I need to reinstall or whatever. I also have two sets of recovery disks. But, I would think the hard drive recovery partition would be faster in the long run. If it is current and works, why not leave it?

Hi again
I was told, Win 7 which came with this pc's recovery partition is no longer good with Win 8 and Win 8.1 I have since moved up to.
That is why I ask the question. The recovery partition is for the current OS as I was informed.
Are you sure Win 7 recovery partition will function with Win 8 or 8.1
Peter

If you have a Recovery Partition that holds an image of your system the way it came from the system, it is always good. You may not be able to use it in the current configuration to restore directly, but an image is an image and can be manipulated other ways.

If you were to have a System Image Backup, you might feel OK about removing the partition, but I would still copy that image somewhere to keep it safe. Especially in the case of not having some other way to recover a system back to a usable state. Even doing that, you may need the 8.0 recovery media to recover an 8.0 image since the 8.1 media might give you a version error and refuse to re-image your system. OEM systems can be very confusing as to their recovery options, but do the best you can to protect yourself by having something to build on in case of disaster.

If you read some of the threads about Windows 8.1 users not being able to refresh or reset their systems, it is related to having a 8.0 image on an 8.1 system and whether the 8.0 is registered as the priority for resetting the system.

I think I understand that it cannot be effectually used in its current context but may still have a function elsewhere and therefore best to keep. Thank you
Peter

Yes, I now understand that if I were to to use Win 7 for example it would be of help but not with Win 8.1 which I have. There is no harm done in keeping it.
Thank you
Peter

Back
Top Bottom