Windows 10 Recovery Partition

Spotted Dog

Extraordinary Member
Just noticed that since upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, I have 2 recovery partitions. Does Windows 10 automatically create a new recovery partition? If I create a Recovery USB Drive, will it be Windows 10 or Windows 8.1? I can't do anything with either of these partitions via Disk Mangement. All I get is "help". How can I delete these and reclaim that space on my SSD?

Thanks

What size partitions are you referring to? The install may have created an additional 450MB partition after the C: partition. This is for the Recovery process. The image in the larger partition is still the prior OS.

That appears fairly normal. The OS image is in a Recovery Partition, probably the last one on the drive which is around 8 GBs.

Now that you have updated, a Recovery Drive would not encompass the image for 8.1, as far as I know. If you want to revert back, best to do that in the first 29 days through the recovery process. If the option to revert back has already been removed, use whatever you can.

Personally, I imaged my system to a new mSATA drive and put the original one in a safe place.. ;)

Back