Windows 7 Recurrent BSOD

Aladin

Hi. My Windows 7 has been having recurrent BSOD at random times, And I would like you Guys to take a look at the problem.

Below are everything W7F Diagnostic Tool managed to grab, along side CPU-Z tabs Screenshots as well as RAMMon report.

Attachments

• W7F_02-08-2016.rar
    835.2 KB · Views: 294
  • RAMMon - SPD Info.rar
    2.3 KB · Views: 274
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {5003, fffff70001080000, 15cfd, 14b7f000239fa}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4700d )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

1: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)
# Any other values for parameter 1 must be individually examined.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000005003, The subtype of the bugcheck.
Arg2: fffff70001080000
Arg3: 0000000000015cfd
Arg4: 00014b7f000239fa

Bug check 1A is clearly memory related, the subtype 5003 means the working set of a given process is corrupt. The process the BSOD came from was chrome.exe. Error 5003 is also typically hardware related. I would look at running Memtest, you can download Hiren boot disc and run it from there. I was run it for a full 24 hours to get a accurate reading.

The second dump was a bug check of 1E
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e)

The args are all 0, which to me relates back to the corrupt memory (bad hardware) BSOD. These args should not all be 0 so the memory from this dmp could be corrupt too.

The driver listed as a probable cause is IMAGE_NAME: ataport.SYS which is a generic storage
driver

The only driver that I see that could potentially screw up chrome is the Connectify driver, so it may be worth while removing it

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1A, {5003, fffff70001080000, 15cfd, 14b7f000239fa}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+4700d )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
It looks like your overclocking the FSB (Front side Bus)? This is usually running at 800mhz/1066mhz although I see your's is set to 1080MHz and as you know will also affect the RAM. Please return to default values until troubleshooting is over.

To confirm Neemobeer's post, you might be looking at faulty RAM especially with the sub-type of 5003. (Although with the overclock being enabled you just never know) Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool.

Post any new dump files

Last edited:
Hi Again. Thank you for your Insight into my problem.

I'm running Memtest tonight as you Guys have instrcuted and will be coming back with results afterwards. As for overclocking, I'm removing it right after I submit this post.

Thank you~

Thanks for the update and good luck with the testing.

Hello. I have Ran Memtest86 for Sixteen Hours and no errors were detected even with six completed passes. As of now, My machine is not overclocked, And I'll be using it as I normally would. If no BSOD arise, it'll be likely that I had an unstable overclock, and I will be asking for your supervision to overclock it properly. If I, however, do get BSOD, I would upload the new dump for you to examine.

Thank you.

Hello. I have Ran Memtest86 for Sixteen Hours and no errors were detected even with six completed passes. As of now, My machine is not overclocked, And I'll be using it as I normally would. If no BSOD arise, it'll be likely that I had an unstable overclock, and I will be asking for your supervision to overclock it properly. If I, however, do get BSOD, I would upload the new dump for you to examine.

Thank you.
Sounds good. :)

Unfortunately, I have just had a Memory Management BSOD again. Worse still, I Couldn't find the minidump that I recall waiting for Windows to finish creating upon the crash before I reset the machine. I have investigated, and increased the size of page file. If you have any suggestion as to what I can do to make sure a minibump is created And saved next time, I'm interested.

Aside from the missing minidump, I'm uninstalling Connectify completely and replacing it with a different software. Also, Connectify has been acting up very frequently where the Hotspot would just stop. At other Instances, The WiFi Adapter would blackout and require a reset.

Additionally, my Computer is not very well ventilated. Could Heat affect RAM (which I have read doing so) or other Components that affect it ? I have occasionally checked the Temperature of the RAM Sticks by touching them and they didn't feel Abnormally warm.

Oh, and as a matter of Fact, I have updated drivers I deemed necessary through 'DriverPack-Online' before I acquired both of the RAM Sticks. Also, they are of the same Brand and look Identical, thus allowing Dual-channel. Could there be a Driver that I might want to rollback ?

Should I also try Increasing the DRAM Voltage ?

Thank you for your perseverance in guiding me to fix my problem. I Greatly Appreciate it.

I have investigated, and increased the size of page file. If you have any suggestion as to what I can do to make sure a minibump is created And saved next time, I'm interested.
What size is the pagefile now?

Could Heat affect RAM (which I have read doing so) or other Components that affect it ? I have occasionally checked the Temperature of the RAM Sticks by touching them and they didn't feel Abnormally warm.
Can you post some idea of the temps your dealing with? This application will help in collecting data:
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - News

Oh, and as a matter of Fact, I have updated drivers I deemed necessary through 'DriverPack-Online' before I acquired both of the RAM Sticks. Also, they are of the same Brand and look Identical, thus allowing Dual-channel. Could there be a Driver that I might want to rollback ?
Applications such as this 'Driverpack online' are not good. You should always and i mean always find the drivers from their original source like a motherboard support page:
Support For G41M-P21 | MSI Global | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

Also I noticed your current Bios is old. Your running version 32.2 when the latest version appears to be 32.9. If your unsure about flashing the bios then leave it for someone else to do like a pc store perhaps?
Support For G41M-P21 | MSI Global | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

See how you get on after changing the above and please post any new dump files.

Initial size is currently 2000MB and Maximum size is 3000MB.

Temps, as reported by HWINFO, are not concerning. My CPU had ran at Hotter Temps for years before (speaking of 70+ due to dirty fan). The Motherboard temp fluctuates between 42°C and 46°C.

I'm installing Drivers from the provided source now. Thank you.

I can flash a new BIOS, the problem however is that my Motherboard model is G41 M-20, and not G41 M-21. MSI Does only have M-21 listed in their website. Should I still flash the M-21 Bios ? If I'm unlikely dealing with a Bios issue, I would like not to mess with it.

I just remembered that earlier today my Machine had a strange crash while it was idling as I wasn't using it where the screen was black when I tried to use it (monitor still received signal). Pressing the Power button once shut down the Machine as if it had a BSOD. Also, It froze on me twice while I played Videos recently. Gaming on it doesn't seem to reproduce any of the above mentioned issues. In Fact, Stressing it yields no issues. I'm running Prime95 overnight and I'll mainly be Stressing RAM.

Oh, I Also RAN 'Windows Memory Diagnostic' which unsurprisingly encountered no issues At All.

Neemobeer's insight brought mention of IMAGE_NAME: ataport.SYS. Is there anything I Can do about it ? I have ran Kaspersky TDSSKiller and it detected no threats.

Thank you once again.

Neemobeer's insight brought mention of IMAGE_NAME: ataport.SYS
Yes this relates to the storage driver and why I supplied the correct page for drivers. You may not see an actual download for ataport.sys but if you update the chipset, that usually carries the required driver.

I can flash a new BIOS, the problem however is that my Motherboard model is G41 M-20, and not G41 M-21. MSI Does only have M-21 listed in their website. Should I still flash the M-21 Bios ? If I'm unlikely dealing with a Bios issue, I would like not to mess with it.
Not a problem. Safer to leave it for another day.. :)

Initial size is currently 2000MB and Maximum size is 3000MB.
Sounds fine. Page files can become corrupted over time so turn it off, reboot and then turn it back on.

Please check for corruption by running the system file checker. Find command prompt, right click on it, choose properties followed by 'Run as admin'. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Edit:
Please run the DDU and remove the current gpu driver. This will also clear out anything else left behind by previous driver installs.
Display Driver Remover (boot into safe mode to use properly)

Nvidia driver for your card:
NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce Game Ready Driver WHQL

Post any new dump files.

I have installed the supplied Drivers, Ran DDU and reinstalled the Graphics Card Drivers, and RAN Prime95 and set it to stress my RAM Sticks for at the least six hours which yielded no Errors. Later today, However, I managed to reproduce the Memory Management BSOD Twice using this same software by repeatedly filling up my RAM and flushing it by repeatedly running and stopping stress works. One thing I noticed is that Flushing (stopping Stress works) the RAM was followed by the two instances of BSOD. I Tried to reproduce it again for an hour later with no success. And once again, No Minidumb at C:\Windows\Minidump which is weird for Windows does collect data concerning the crash.

I have just Ran sfc /scannow and it says that Windows has found corrupt files and that it was unable to fix some of them. I'll upload the log in case it is worth checking.

Something else is that Chrome would occasionally malfunction where Extensions would keep crashing at startup. Restarting them only resulted in them crashing right away again. Typing a Query in the search bar would end up with a crashed Tab. Closing and reopening it doesn't help just as If I didn't close it at all. The only thing that seems to Help is restarting Windows. While this might turn out to be Chrome's fault, I'm interested in hearing what you might say about this phenomena.

Also, I have retraced my activities (using Reliability Monitor) before the BSODs started, and I have rolled back drivers that I could find. Hopefully this will helps.

P.S. Uploading files results in an Error. I'll try again soon.

Uploading files finally succeeds. Please, take a look if it is worthwhile.

Thank you.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    201.9 KB · Views: 280
, However, I managed to reproduce the Memory Management BSOD Twice using this same software by repeatedly filling up my RAM and flushing it by repeatedly running and stopping stress works. One thing I noticed is that Flushing (stopping Stress works) the RAM was followed by the two instances of BSOD. I Tried to reproduce it again for an hour later with no success. And once again, No Minidumb at C:\Windows\Minidump which is weird for Windows does collect data concerning the crash.

I know from experience that sometimes even though the RAM is faulty it won't produce an error in memtest86 or any other memory testing application.
It's possible we are in a similar situation and ask you to run on one stick only. See if you can reproduce the bsod again with just one stick.

I looked at your logs and it seems a lot of files had to be moved about as well as repaired. It may well help that at some point in the future you try a clean install and start over.

Please run a chkdsk
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10

I'm trying to isolate the bad stick (if there exist any) the next time I get BSOD. For now, I'm trying not to reboot my Computer and to see if Rolling back Drivers did any Good.

It hasn't been long since I started fresh, but I'll be doing that again soon. Especially after all the crashes. I Must Admit that Windows 7 is tough.

Alright. I have Scheduled a chkdsk process that will take place next time I Reboot.

Thank you for your persistence.

Something else we could try if the above comes to nothing is the driver verifier but see what turns up with the above testing. Best of luck

We have had a power outage, so the plan to keep the Computer running for a good While failed. However, when the Power got back, The Scheduled chkdsk fired and did it's job. Another thing is that Windows kept alerting me about resorting to a temporary page file. Setting the page file size as automatic (I let windows decide on it) fixed the Error and freed an entire 8GB of valuable space on my C Drive. Having put that Aside, there have not been any BSOD so far.

Another thing I did today is that after the power got back, I Ran Prime95 and Recorded my mouse trails as well as strokes and Keyboard inputs using a Software I had sitting in my Harddrive. Upon that, I set it in a way that it would spam Prime95 where Stress works were repeatedly started over and over again forcing the previous works to stop in Order for the new configured ones to fire. The result was the same as I did yesterday - Repeatedly filling and flushing my RAM dozens of times (probably over a Hundred of times) but no BSOD triggered. Bellow are pictures of what the process looks like in Task manager and the Settings I Used. Additionally, upon a good while from letting a short delay between each replay spam the RAMs as fast as possible, I Increased the delay where two replays had longer in between until I reached two minutes.

I have attempted Driver Verifier before, and it caused a BSOD because a Driver that UxStyle depends on. In case of another Crash, I'll remove it and Attempt running it again.

My Sincere Thanks.

Attachments

• Prime95.rar
    832.6 KB · Views: 273
I have attempted Driver Verifier before, and it caused a BSOD because a Driver that UxStyle depends on. In case of another Crash, I'll remove it and Attempt running it again.
Really?
Hmm.. Interesting, I missed that you were running a theme via UxStyle and as you have already mentioned, if the bsod returns please remove the theme.
Best of luck and please post back if issues should reoccur.

Hi again. My PC Acted up as I was using it as I normally would (Chrome crashed. I closed the notification saying so and waited for it to recover. I Kept killing unresponsive tabs to no veil until I decided to kill the entire browser via Task manager). I then relaunched Chrome and short after, BSOD saying Memory Management triggered. One thing to not is that I have 100+ tabs open. Apparently, Chrome is stressing the RAM Better than anything. I have had UxStyle installed ever since I had only 1gb RAM stick and I never faced any BSOD back then. If you would allow me, I would like to start isolating RAM sticks right Away. In fact, I have only one installed right now. I'll attempt reopening everything I had open before and see what happens.

Edit:
Can pagefile cause Memory Management BSOD ?

I would like to start isolating RAM sticks right Away. In fact, I have only one installed right now.
As you have had a bsod with one stick installed you now need to swap the sticks over and try running again.

Back
Top Bottom