Windows 7 Recurring BSOD Error

Tephnos

Hello,

I have had a few recurring BSODs over the last couple of days, all STOP error 0x00000124. I did the usual MemTest check as I figured hardware BSODs are usually always either memory or HDD. So far, they've checked out okay, so I'm at a bit of an impasse at where to go next. I also upped the voltage of my overclock by a notch or two to make sure it wasn't that, and it seems that's not the cause either.

I have included dump files. One from way back in November (had completely forgotten about that one until I seen it as they stopped), and two from the past few days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 112411-5772-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 223
  • 012012-6302-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 215
  • 012612-5600-01.dmp
    256 KB · Views: 205
When attaching dmp files, PLEASE put them in a single zipped folder

Hi Tephnos and Welcome to The Forum.

STOP 0x00000124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Usual causes:
Hardware, Incompatibility, May be driver corruption

Your dump files list unknown_image as the probable cause.
Old and incompatible drivers can and do cause issues with Windows 7, often giving false error codes. Random stop codes can often indicate hardware issues.

You're getting a stop0x124, which means blame the hardware.

Stop 0x124 Checks
  • Ensure that none of the hardware is being over-clocked.
  • Ensure that the machine is adequately cooled. Chase out those dust bunnies!
  • Make sure all hardware related drivers are up to date.
  • Possibly update the motherboard BIOS according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Always keep The Windows system itself up to date.
See this post by H2S04 for additional pointers: Stop 0x124 - what to try.

As a Priority:

Some hardware tests you should be prepared to run:

Bugcheck Analysis:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800997c028, be200000, 5110a}

***** Debugger could not find nt in module list, module list might be corrupt, error 0x80070057.

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image

Followup: MachineOwner

Let us know how it goes. If you get further problems with blue screens, attach your new dump files and details and we'll move on from there.

HTH.
When attaching dmp files, PLEASE put them in a single zipped folder

Hi,

Just an update. I tried all the steps and found no problems. I forgot to post that, and it slipped my mind. So, three weeks pass with no more troubles. Confused me, but oh well.

Got another one a couple of nights ago, except this time no minidump was left. I'm not really sure what the problem is, if none of the tests show anything.

Can drivers cause BSOD stop issues sometimes? The only thing I can think of is AMD drivers (they sometimes fail, stopping aero until they eventually recover... I grow tired of them, will definitely be going for Nvidia again next GPU purchase). Could it simply be the drivers causing a BSOD sometimes instead of a graphics driver failure?

If so, guess there's not much more I can do rather than just tolerate it seeing as they're so infrequent.

But yeah, I did all those hardware checks. The only thing I can think of that I might have missed was updating the BIOS. I'll do that tomorrow.

Can drivers cause BSOD stop issues sometimes?
More often than not its a driver at fault. But the real culprit is often hidden behind a smokescren of system drivers that get the blame, as they were the last driver being loaded/used as the crash actually happens.

Re: AMD drivers. There were a few problems around Xmas 2010, but nothing major since. Have you tried loading the "drivers only"? As in, don't install the Catalyst Control Centre?

The best way to do it, seeing as you're having some graphics issues is:
  • Download the latest AMD Graphics Drivers
  • Download and install DriverSweeper.
  • Uninstall your current Graphics setup through Programs and Features
  • Boot to (preferably) Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants of your current Graphics set up.
  • Reboot to Normal Mode.
  • Install your new Graphics set up.

Back