Windows 7 Recurring BSOD

keyheart

Hi Everyone,

I've been having the BSOD pop up on my new computer which is about a week old. Initially there were BAD_POOL_HEADER and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT errors. I had reformatted my pc and reinstalled windows 7 fresh but I just got another BSOD about a few hours after a fresh install. I've uploaded the dump file for anyone who'll be kind enough to have a look please!

here are the specs of my pc:

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
RAM: G-skill 8GB DDR-3 1600XL Ripjaws
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
Motherboard: AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3

Hope someone can help please! Thanks!

Attachments

• 040912-46628-01.zip
    18.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Seven Forums.rar
    646.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
A single dump file is not a lot to go on. It does suggest memory issues but these could just as easily be produced by bad or old drivers. Take care of these two old ones.
FNETURPX.SYS 10/3/2008 likely from here ASRock XFast USB Utility bottom of the list of utilities ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 > Download
and
GEARAspiWDM.sys 5/18/2009 from here Driver updates - GEAR Software
I would also completely remove AVG, uninstall using the control panel applet and follow that up with this removal tool from here AVG Download tools and utilities (get the correct version for your architecture).
And replace it with Link Removed due to 404 Error
If Blue Screens persist then;
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be found later
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.
Then:
Please read the first post in this sticky thread here How to ask for help with a BSOD problem
Do your best to accumulate the data required.
Run the SF Diagnostic tool (download and right click the executable and choose run as administrator)
Download and run CPUz. Use the Windows snipping tool to gather images from all tabs including all slots populated with memory under the SPD tab.
Likewise RAMMon. Export the html report, put everything into a desktop folder that you've created for this purpose, zip it up and attach it to your next post (right click it and choose send to, compressed (zipped) folder.
Additionally, if you haven’t already, please take some time and fill out your system specs in your forum profile area http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...you-filling-your-system-specs.html#post235529 .
Finally you have a driver which has produced some issues recently with Windows 7 for you USB controller using the Etron chipset. So double check the driver available for that particular device located at the ASRock link above and see if it is a bit more current than the one you are currently using
Good luck
Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your help. I'll keep all your advice to mind. If there are any more persisting BSODs, I'll let you know with all the appropriate information.

Just as a general question, I used to have a trial version of Norton Internet Security until I used AVG. However, is Security Essentials along with the Windows firewall enough for personal use (ie everyday web use, social networking, banking, etc etc)?

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been getting the BSOD at a more frequent rate now. I'm not really sure what's going on now to be honest, but I have edited my first post to include all attachments that were requested. If anyone can help, that would be much appreciated!

Cheers

is Security Essentials along with the Windows firewall enough for personal use (ie everyday web use, social networking, banking, etc etc)?
I suspect you will find it (them) quite adequate. So the short answer is yes.

I've been getting the BSOD at a more frequent rate now. I'm not really sure what's going on now to be honest
You should probably tend to this driver which I believe I mentioned in my initial post.
FNETURPX.SYS 10/3/2008
And then let's see if enabling XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) in you system BIOS will sort out what seems to be a mildly out of whack memory timing settings.
After enabling XMP rerun CPUz and check to see if it makes any changes like switching your current command rate from 1T to 2T.
Failing that you may want to experiment setting the timings manually to see if that might help. Maybe something a little closer to what CPUz is indicating would be proper with the 800Mhz (XMP) memory you are using (9, 9, 9, 25) with a command rate of 2T might be a place to start.
Regards
Randy

Additionally I noticed that on your motherboard's beta page they are listing a newer driver for your Etron USB chipset which you may want to try (Etron USB 3.0 driver ver:0.109) from here Link Removed due to 404 Error

FNETURPX.SYS 10/3/2008 - I ended up uninstalling AsRock XFast USB Utility after I sent all the files so it shouldn't be present anymore now.

Also, I updated the Etron USB chipset with the driver you linked and also changed the Memory settings with XMP (9, 9, 9, 24) with a command rate of 2T.

Im still getting the problems though.
Just before the last crash, I got a "COM Surrogate" error and it asked me if I wanted to send the information or not to MS. After closing the window, that's when it crashed. Not sure if this related to anything but thought I'd mention it anyway.
After the last crash, I also had a few other errors (1) a few of my applications settings were set to default and it was as if I was opening the app for the first time (2) C++ Runtime Library has stopped working
I also tend to get frequent errors with displaying websites wherein the page will crash and I can try reloading the page or restart the browser. Again, not sure if this is related as well.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi

Attached as requested.
I also just put the updated driver list after removing the previous driver and also an image of the new memory setting from CPUz

Just had a thought. Could it be a software or hardware issue?

Cheers

Attachments

• Dumpfiles.rar
    145 KB · Views: 169
Just had a thought. Could it be a software or hardware issue?
Yes, since that is pretty much all it could be. Discovering which is the problem.
Grab a blank CD and this program from here What is Windows Defender Offline? get the correct version for you architecture. Double click the program and it will build a bootable CD for you. Boot from that CD and run a FULL system scan and see what that turns up.
Then;
Download Memtest86+ from this location here. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot the computer from the CD from a cold boot after leaving it off for an hour or more.
Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.
See this Guide to using Memtest 86+
Regards
Randy

Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test. Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Perform the test RAM sticks individually as well as all possible combinations. When you find a good one then test it in all slots. Post back with the results.

Just to be clear: you mentioned to run it for 6-8 hours. So if I have 2 RAM sticks and 4 slots, I need to run the test a total of 8 times (1 test per stick per slot - each test 6-8 hours?)
also i'm confused about the "all possible combinations" and "when you find a good one, then test it in all slots"

if this is the case, this will take a very long time as I'm back to work tomorrow and i'm not sure when I'll have free time to finish all this.

Last edited:
Hi,

Windows defender didnt detect any errors.

In regards to memtest, I reread what you said and if im correct, i can stop the test if i get an error before the 6-8 hour mark?

If so, that's what I've been doing then. The first stick displayed errors from the start on all slots.
Running the second stick now on the first slot and so far no problems and almost at the end of the first pass. It seems from this, the issue is with the RAM I'm guessing?

Back