Windows 7 Redirecting "User Folder" on desktop to another partition

Justin Loper

Hello all, This is my first post and have been able to find a lot of very useful information on this site. I have been searching for a solution to my problem with no luck finding it thus far. I'm sure I am not the only one that has had trouble setting this up. Anyways I have two seagate barracuda sata drives. My primary o/s drive (c:/) is a 160gb and the secondary is a 1tb . I use the 160gb for my windows installation and for program files. The 1tb is what I had the "My Documents" folder redirected to in Win Xp Pro. I am attemtping to do the same thing in windows 7 which makes life easier if for some reason i would have to format and reinstall Windows. I have attempted several ways to solve this issue hoping I would not have to look elsewhere for help. But any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks again. If there is already a post answering this that I have overlooked that will also help.

Navigate to users/username, right click on my documents, click on properties, click on the location tab, click on the move command and browse to where you want it.

Alternatively (and this is my preference) I don't use the "my this" and "my that" folders at all. I have my own data folders on a seprate drive called things like mp3s, mpgs, docs etc. This avoids all the problems with location, ownership etc.

Thank you for your help, from my personal experience in XP you could right click on the documents folder on the desktop and in the properties set the location for the folder. I am currently using WIN 7 Ultimate and I am attempting to have all my libraries, user folder, documents or what ever folders you see listed when you are asked to choose a save location while downloading something in a browser. If I could have it setup to where these folders are on my second hard drive that I use for my "storage" music, pictures, videos, downloads etc. I seemed to have it working partially, cannot remember what i did, but when all my files were stored on my second drive anything that I would select to share over my home network would be automatically copied or moved to c:/ which I am trying to prevent from happening also. Any help or additional tips would be great, thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom