Windows 7 Reformat Question

perdooky

So I backed up everything and I want a fresh copy of windows 7 on my pc. I started the setup, and I pressed the Format button on my main partition. It only took a second... and it said it was formatted. From reformatting my pc's all my life it usually takes at least 15 minutes to reformat my hard disk. So my question is did this really reformat my pc during installation or did i need to delete the partition or something else to actually reformat it?

So I backed up everything and I want a fresh copy of windows 7 on my pc. I started the setup, and I pressed the Format button on my main partition. It only took a second... and it said it was formatted. From reformatting my pc's all my life it usually takes at least 15 minutes to reformat my hard disk. So my question is did this really reformat my pc during installation or did i need to delete the partition or something else to actually reformat it?

Thats normal, it formatted

Quick format since Vista

I don't like it either, but since Vista it only quick formats. I believe the longer format in XP was to write zeros to the drive which I do using the GWScan bootable utility make for Western Digital drives but which works on most others. I diagnose/repair the drive to get a clean bill of health, then do full write of zeros to the drive. There are other utilities that do the zeroing, or the diagnosis, but I don't know another that does both.

Back
Top Bottom