reformat win 7 and install xp

i work in a lab that recently bought a dell laptop (that was factory loaded with win 7) to run an instrument. the problem is that the software, ChemStation, is not compatible with win 7. i would like to completely remove win 7 and install xp. i have a copy of xp, but every time i boot from the cd, the installation gets hung up and terminates the install. any ideas of what i am doing wrong?

busydog

i work in a lab that recently bought a dell laptop (that was factory loaded with win 7) to run an instrument. the problem is that the software, ChemStation, is not compatible with win 7. i would like to completely remove win 7 and install xp. i have a copy of xp, but every time i boot from the cd, the installation gets hung up and terminates the install. any ideas of what i am doing wrong?
When you install XP, format the existing Win7 partition and install there. You shouldn't have a problem. I assume your data is safely tucked away somewhere. If you have the Professional or Ultimate Version of Win7 you can run XP in a virtual mode from within Win7 which would also solve your problem.

It is Win7 home. Would have been too convenient to run virtual mode! Can you walk me through formatting the existing partition in a bit more detail?

busydog

It is Win7 home. Would have been too convenient to run virtual mode! Can you walk me through formatting the existing partition in a bit more detail?
You can do the same thing with Win7 Home Premium with VMWare. Go to http://www.technibble.com/how-to-create-a-windows-xp-virtual-machine/

If you really want to get rid of Win7, XP will ask you during installation where you want to install it. Pick the Win7 partition and direct it to format it. I don't have an XP install disk screen in front of me but it should be self-explanatory.

It won't run in compatibility mode? Do you know about compatibility mode?

Joe S

Excellent Member
Well since you have XP there is also free VMware Player you can now install the virtual PC there. I prefer VMware to the windows 2007.
Joe

Robert Miker

I completely agree with all of your views guys.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.