reformat win 7 and install xp

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Installation' started by winhelp, Jan 7, 2010.

1. winhelp

winhelp New Member

i work in a lab that recently bought a dell laptop (that was factory loaded with win 7) to run an instrument. the problem is that the software, ChemStation, is not compatible with win 7. i would like to completely remove win 7 and install xp. i have a copy of xp, but every time i boot from the cd, the installation gets hung up and terminates the install. any ideas of what i am doing wrong?

2. busydog

busydog New Member

When you install XP, format the existing Win7 partition and install there. You shouldn't have a problem. I assume your data is safely tucked away somewhere. If you have the Professional or Ultimate Version of Win7 you can run XP in a virtual mode from within Win7 which would also solve your problem.

3. winhelp

winhelp New Member

It is Win7 home. Would have been too convenient to run virtual mode! Can you walk me through formatting the existing partition in a bit more detail?

4. busydog

busydog New Member

You can do the same thing with Win7 Home Premium with VMWare. Go to http://www.technibble.com/how-to-create-a-windows-xp-virtual-machine/

If you really want to get rid of Win7, XP will ask you during installation where you want to install it. Pick the Win7 partition and direct it to format it. I don't have an XP install disk screen in front of me but it should be self-explanatory.

5. tblount

tblount New Member

It won't run in compatibility mode? Do you know about compatibility mode?

6. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Well since you have XP there is also free VMware Player you can now install the virtual PC there. I prefer VMware to the windows 2007.
    Joe

7. Robert Miker

Robert Miker New Member

I completely agree with all of your views guys.