Windows 7 Regedit Use

hamiksu

Hi everyone,

wanted to ask the windows guru here on how to perform something..

I remember in the windows XP days, you can use regedit to prevent access to the network properties for your local network adapters (say for example, to prevent users from messing with the ip addresses and so forth).
I have tried googling and tried several so called ways and none of them works.

Is it possible to do so in windows 7 using regedit instead of GPO?

p.s :- I would also like the ways to use regedit to block network properties access in windows XP if you know how too, Thanks..

A bit of Googling found this link which may be of some use:
http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1047/

To be honest though unless your completely at home with changing Registry settings I'd advise caution. If possible try and find another route for a solution such as guest accounts with limited access for example.

I tried those for windows 7, didn't work so I would assume thats for windows XP.

on to a different question then.. how about when I am trying to hide a user account from appearing in the logon screen?

for windows XP, I can hide the account and if anytime I wish to use that hidden account to logon, I would press ctrl-alt-del twice and I can manually key in the username and password to access the hidden account, is this still possible for windows 7 and/or windows 8.1?

I know Windows XP can do this...

and I know you can hide user accounts in windows 7..

but it is the bottom line that I have yet to test..
the part where you press ctrl+alt+del twice to bring out the logon screen where you can type in the hidden acc username and pass to get in that hidden account.. Does that still available in windows 7?

anyway, thanks to all the people who replied and helped out... you guys are probably thinking I am a bit long winded... if you did think like that, I'll say sorry first.. hehe

I know Windows XP can do this...

and I know you can hide user accounts in windows 7..

but it is the bottom line that I have yet to test..
the part where you press ctrl+alt+del twice to bring out the logon screen where you can type in the hidden acc username and pass to get in that hidden account.. Does that still available in windows 7?

anyway, thanks to all the people who replied and helped out... you guys are probably thinking I am a bit long winded... if you did think like that, I'll say sorry first.. hehe
Did you read the link i posted above? It explains how to alter the registry to hide the accounts. Works for xp and win 7 apparently.

To hide the accounts, yes, but the ctrl+alt+del twice during logon screen, I tried that out in windows 7, didn't work..

Back