Windows 7 Registering Control Panel Item

Discussion in 'Programming and Scripting' started by patadrian, Apr 26, 2011.

1. patadrian

patadrian New Member

Hi,

How do you register .exe to show in control panel? I have already read and followed the instructions in this site Registering Control Panel Items (Windows) and it doesn't seem to work. In this site, it only mentions Windows Vista. Is it same with Win7? I really need help because I was assigned to make an installer for the application, and I was told that after installation the application should be displayed or shown in Control Panel. Our target OS is Windows 7.

#1 patadrian, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

No answer on this - but 64-bit may be your issue as well.

Make sure the GUID you are registering is correct.

See: Developing for the Control Panel

In general, I would consider it irresponsible for software developers to constantly place their applications in Control Panel to begin with. Users rely on Control Panel to adjust, configure, and maintain Windows operating system settings - not 3rd party applications. The inclusion of 3rd party applications into the Control Panel is based on a fundamentally flawed concept that the software which has been developed is so important that it must be integrated into the operating system. In general, it results in confusion for the end-user and annoyance for those of us who know what we are doing.

However, my goal is to assist you in this endeavor, I simply do not have enough information about the values you are inputting and why those values are not resulting in the item appearing. If you provide specific information it is possible that Joe Stackhouse (Josephur) may be able to give you some tips in this area, as he is often developing .NET applications for some purpose or another.

3. patadrian

patadrian New Member

Hi! thanks for your advice. Apparently the Windows 7 I used to test was 64 bit and I didn't noticed it. I had it working now and currently I am working on the Task Links in Control Panel for my Application. Thanks a lot!

4. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

That was a lucky guess :) I'm glad to know it was solved!