Windows 7 registry access denied

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
how do I get control of the registry using regedit to make changes.
It keeps telling me access is denied.
i am its administrator.
I am the only user.
I want to make a change in this folder.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.newfolder

Have you tried running HijackThis program by Thrend Micro?? It will scan all processes of the Computer and please check if something is disabling the registry from there. Anyway if the computer doesnt allow to install any programs try to run gpedit.msc and then go to UserConfiguration>Administrative Templates>System look for Prevent access to registry editing tools.

This is the error I get

==========
[Window Title]
Error Editing Value

[Content]
Cannot edit Position: Error writing the value's new contents.

[OK]
===========

It happens when I try to modify any entry under the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Windows.newfolder

I ran HT 1.98.1 and it didn't show anything relative to that key.

I have the same problem and would like to know if there is a solution for it.
Thanks

ruggb, are you still trying to get new folders to not have the details view? What are you going to change in the key?

Saltgrass!!
you may be a senior member but I am a SENIOR member.
u can't wait that long to ask me a question because I have the CRS disease.

I have no Idea what I was trying to change those entries for ----------- WAIT
I was trying to figure out if there was a registry entry to fix the damn WE problems
If it is in here it can't be edited - none of the keys under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell
can be edited.
so it is a lost cause.

That's because Users don't have Full Control of that key.

Rt click it>Permissions.

I can change permissions of the ...SHELL folder/key but not any of the sub keys

Have you tried running HijackThis program by Thrend Micro?? It will scan all processes of the Computer and please check if something is disabling the registry from there. Anyway if the computer doesnt allow to install any programs try to run gpedit.msc and then go to UserConfiguration>Administrative Templates>System look for Prevent access to registry editing tools.

It's a good program but does it give you errors under win 7? I get major errors when it starts and I think I have the latest version. It still runs the report though.

I just changed permissions for Windows Burn without any trouble. Make User Owner first, then highlight the User, Add, and tick Full Control.

Saltgrass!!
you may be a senior member but I am a SENIOR member.
u can't wait that long to ask me a question because I have the CRS disease.

I have no Idea what I was trying to change those entries for ----------- WAIT
I was trying to figure out if there was a registry entry to fix the damn WE problems
If it is in here it can't be edited - none of the keys under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell
can be edited.
so it is a lost cause.
What the heck are you talking about? If you were the poster that asked about creating new folders without having them open with the details view, I answered your question in the other thread, AND IT WORKED...

Once again, it does not work with Library folders. So, I will ask you again, what are you trying to change in the registry? Did you ever think that I may realize you know something I do not???????

Back
Top Bottom