Windows 7 Release Questions

TheIgster

Now I realize that these "leaked" versions are not official by any means, but does anyone know for sure if Microsoft will actually send anymore updates to those of us who are on the 7100 RC, via Windows Update or is 7100 the only version we will see until the actual retail, for sale release?

I believe this is the last public release we will see.

One moderator says Oct 22

the other stats late July.

So no updates for the RC then? The releases you are talking about are the actual "retail" releases?

Because if that is the case, no updates for the RC, then I may just download some of these "leaked" releases and update that way.

Last edited:
These releases are leaked releases. The ones only for microsoft technet people and that and then they leak it onto the web.

These releases are leaked releases. The ones only for microsoft technet people and that and then they leak it onto the web.

Yes, I know this.

My question was, would Microsoft release anything OTHER than the 7100 RC release to those who have the 7100 release, via Windows Update, as noted in my first post.

No, there will NOT be another public release, period.
If you're doing this legit, the next time you'll see Windows 7 is on its October 22nd launch date if you choose to buy it.

Well, that kinda sucks. Oh well...Thanks for the info.

Why are you so worried about getting Updates? If they did send any updates they would either be Test Updates or simple fixes for minor bugs... ;) But as Kyle said, there will NOT be any more public releases. The Retail is the next "public release" which will show it's face October 22nd, 2009.. :)

And using the leaked builds isn't going to allow you to receive updates.. Those are interim builds, they do NOT receive updates, period...

To add to Radenight, the RC is more than likely going to look exactly the same as the public release anyways. I still dont see Microsoft making any changes to the UI until maybe a service pack, although it is entirely possible. These newer builds that come out have minor bug fixes only, so if you dont have any issues at the moment, you have something pretty close to the public release anyways.

Why are you so worried about getting Updates? If they did send any updates they would either be Test Updates or simple fixes for minor bugs... ;) But as Kyle said, there will NOT be any more public releases. The Retail is the next "public release" which will show it's face October 22nd, 2009.. :)

And using the leaked builds isn't going to allow you to receive updates.. Those are interim builds, they do NOT receive updates, period...

I'm not "worried" about getting updated, but to me, the point of us "testing" an RC is that updates continue to be released to said testers. If you just want us to use the same copy and not update it, then really, is there any point?

I write software for a living. Having people using the RC and getting these updates would seem like a plan to me, but just simply shipping out the RC and saying that's it, well, seems rather silly. It's going to time out anyway, why not ship these updates out to us as well as part of Windows Update in the RC?

I downloaded and installed the latest "leaked" build anyway, so no big deal. Just speaking on a pure testing basis, getting updates out to those who are testing the RC makes sense to me, but then again, what Microsoft does, doesn't always make sense.

No, there will NOT be another public release, period.
If you're doing this legit, the next time you'll see Windows 7 is on its October 22nd launch date if you choose to buy it.
Unless you have a Technet or MSDN Subscription, then you will see it late July!!!

Back