Windows Vista Remote Access

D

DanP

I'm thinking of buying a new pc with window's vista on it to use the remote access features when I'm traveling. But from the stuff on the site it is not clear to me if I will be able to access the desktop with just one pc setup with the business edition. It appears I will need more perhaps a server (longhorn?)? I was a big fan of the terminal services product in previous versions.

Does anyone know how the remote access works? Do I still need to fork out the $20 a month for something like gotomypc.com instead?

Thanks,
Dan

You can set up a dynamic hostname to remote desktop conect to your PC or VPN from multiple locations. This can be done with XP as well. Visit DynDNS: Dynamic DNS - free ddns, dynamic DNS service

Newer linksys routers are designed to work with these services but even if you don't have one you can download the software and use it on your home PC, then remote connect into the address you create.

I used DynDNS to get a static address for my router. I've also setup remote desktop to work inside my network. What I can't figure out is the next step of accessing the remote desktop outside my network using the static ip. I tried port forwarding but that doesn't seem to work. I just get admin page for the router when I navigate to my static ip, how do I get to an internal address after that?

thanks for you help,
Dan

Back
Top Bottom