Windows 7 Remote assistance

cdti

I have recently purchased a dell inspiron 1545 laptop with windows 7 home premuim installed, i also purchased an acer 531 netbook with windows xp home installed for my girlfriend.

Wanted to install some bits and bobs on her lappy via remote assistance through windows live messenger, and everytime i tried to connect, it wouldn't. Now is this feature installed on the acer 531, or is there some compatability issue?

Any help would be greatly appeciated as I need to install some stuff on her netbook.

has anyone got a free fix? what is the actual problem

The software I referred to you is absolutely free. What it does is bypass the direct connection that needs to be established by connecting to Crossloop.com's servers instead of trying to direct connect you and the other person from point A to point B. It is an intermediary service that helps to bypass firewalls.

The most likely problem is that one of your routers does not have uPNP enabled or the Windows Firewall itself does not have an exception to allow Windows Live Messenger to initiate these types of connections. You should check the firewall exceptions list on both systems. The only other alternative after that to quickly get you going would be to put both system's IP addresses into the DMZ on each router - yours and your girlfriend. You'd have to go into each router and get the IP on each computer to do this.

does it make any difference that hers is a netbook and mines a laptop?

i did the firewall check on both computers and as far as i remember windows live messenger was allowed on both.

It should not matter if you are using a laptop or a netbook. Try disabling the firewall and if it still doesn't work it is definately a router problem.

Another option you could try would be to hook up both systems to Microsoft Live Mesh: http://www.mesh.com

I do not believe that Windows XP home nor Windows 7 Home Premium can actually host a remote desktop session natively. I'm pretty sure you need XP pro and in the Win 7 line, pro, enterprise and ultimate. You may very well have to use Mike's initial suggestion and use Cross Loop or some other variant, maybe look into LogMeIn express, it's very similar

Back