Remote Desktop Problems - Can't log back in after using RDP

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by ridergroov1, May 31, 2009.

1. ridergroov1

ridergroov1 New Member

Hi folks. I'm trying to see if anyone else is having problems with remote desktop. A lot of the times it works fine but sometimes after I RDP into windows 7 then try to go back I get kicked out instantly and see a little message saying "Device attached to the system has malfunctioned". It only flashes for an instant then goes away. If I try to go to the computer itself and log back in after this happens, it acts like it is going to login then goes right back to the password screen. I have to reboot every time this happens. Ideas? Thanks.

2. pgessford

pgessford New Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. Quickly flickers the "a Device has malfunctioned" and then remote desktop abruptly closes. You can't login at the console either as you say. A reboot is the only thing that gets it working correctly. This doesn't always happen though. Once or twice a day.

3. kevin from Chi-town

are you using the "less secure" or the "more secure" settings for RDP? Maybe this is a network authentication issue

4. ridergroov1

ridergroov1 New Member

I'm glad that it's not just me. Well, you know what I mean. Seems like a pretty large oversight on MS part. That's a pretty big problem I'd say. I thought it was because I was using a nonstandard port but it has happened since I changed back to standard as well. I'm using the lowest form of remote authentication. No network authentication.

To: Microsoft

Microsoft,

Please fix this.

Regards,

Locked out user.

5. pgessford

pgessford New Member

I'm using Less Secure

Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)

I don't know if this happened at the same time I started using an 8 GB flash drive and enabled ReadyBoost for that device. Probably just a coincidence. You didn't do anything simliar, correct ridergroov1?

6. ridergroov1

ridergroov1 New Member

Negative. No readyboost here.