Remote Desktop works intranet but not internet: password error

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by JCIII, Mar 9, 2010.

1. JCIII

JCIII New Member

I am trying to access my Windows7 Ultimate machine from a XP laptop using XP Remote Desktop. Using the local ip and correct port, I can connect and control without any issues. However, when using the internet, I can connect and get to a login screen but it gives me a "The user name or password is incorrect". I know the user name and login are correct because they are the same credentials I use when loggin in through local ip. I know this internet access worked previously when the host machine was XP, nothing else has changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. JCIII

JCIII New Member

I am trying to access my Windows7 Ultimate machine from a XP laptop using XP Remote Desktop. Using the local ip and correct port, I can connect and control without any issues. However, when using the internet, I can connect and get to a login screen but it gives me a "The user name or password is incorrect". I know the user name and login are correct because they are the same credentials I use when loggin in through local ip. I know this internet access worked previously when the host machine was XP, nothing else has changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

3. JCIII

JCIII New Member

Thanks for the link, but it doesn't have anything to do with my problem that I can see. i have all of the settings corrrect in the tutorial. I can connect locally without any problem, it accepts the password without fail so it's not any of the settings I can see in the link. Am I not seeing something on that link that discusses this problem? Thanks for your help.