Windows 10 Remote Desktop

Adrianfu

I have 2 laptops both running Win10pro. Both on the same network, although one is connected via a repeater due to its "remote" location. I can ping one to the other without any issues. Both are connected to the Internet via wifi through one router.
I have been trying to use Remote Desktop to connect to the laptop at the "remote" location without any success. I have followed the multitude of instructions on the net without any luck. I have used TeamViewer to connect to the remote laptop but it keeps crashing on me after a few hours.
I am not overly computer literate but I do manage to get most things up and running but this one as really got me stumped. Any pointers?

Adrian

For RDP
  • Make sure both computers allow port 3389 on the firewall. Normally you only need TCP, but RDP can also use UDP
  • Press [Windows key + R] type systempropertiesremote.exe
  • Make sure 'Allow remote connections to this computer' is set
  • Click 'Select Users' and add the local user you want to be able remote with
Now you should be able to connect. If they're not domain joined computers you'll need to enter the username as
computername\localuser

Make sure you use the user from the computer you are remoting to and not the computer you are remoting from.

Thanks for the reply. I will have another look today but I am pretty sure they are on the same domain. I have enabled remote connection. I think the only thing I haven’t done is checked to make sure the ports are allowed.
After my physio appointment today I will get the remote laptop in the house and check them both out

Adrian

I must be pretty thick because even after following instructions I cannot get Remote Desktop working. I have checked all settings. I can ping each laptop without any problem. The control laptop can "see" the remote laptop but it won't accept the password.

Adrian

You said same domain, are they on an active directory domain or is it just a workgroup or home group?

Well I kind of got it working
Laptop “A” remote
Laptop “B” control
A can connect to B no problem
B cannot connect to A is a problem. I need B to connect to A. Can’t see what I have done wrong or missed.

Adrian

Just verify the same things.
  1. From computer B to A you're using computerA\userA and passwordA
  2. UserA is in the list for allowed remote desktop
  3. Firewall on computerA allows port 3389 inbound

Back