Windows 7 Removed the drive with the boot manager, PC won't boot now

ddriver

Hi there, I had both XP and 7 installed on my PC, the XP was on an old 500GB drive I wanted to put into my GF PC, so I pulled it out, but it seems the boot manager was on that particular drive.

I no longer get the option which OS to boot, XP was on the 500GB drive but the 7 is on a new drive, and since there is no boot manager It is unable to boot the OS.

Funny thing, when I installed that HDD in the other machine, it offered to boot either XP or 7, with no OS actually installed, hence the boot manager was indeed on that disk.

I tried to insert the W7 installation disk and performed a STARTUP REPAIR, however it fixed nothing...

How do I restore or reinstall the boot manager so I can boot my windows 7 installation?

The Startup repair will fix your install, you just need to run it at least twice. Boot the Install DVD and choose repair like you did then do a startup repair. Then try booting back into the OS. If it won't boot, go through the process again.

If that does not work post again and I will give you detailed Remove Windows XP from and dual-boot configs with Windows 7. When you removed the drive you removed the master boot record. The other area is the drive map which is most likely messed up now.

Back
Top Bottom